Clipping text when DT is closed

I have selected a default database. When the data base is open and I select text from an message in Apple Mail, for example, and use the key combination to “take a plain note“ or “take a rich note,” DT does what it is supposed to and creates a new file in Incoming with the first line of the text as the title. This is an amazingly helpful feature. But when DT is not running, the “take a plain or rich note” features only do half the job. They open DT and with it the default database, but do not enter the new file. I have to repeat the key combination to make it work. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mark

That’s strange. It’s working here as expected and the services create a new note no matter if DT is already running or not. Which edition/version do you use? And what’s the destination for new notes (see Import preferences)?

Christian, I have sometimes the same problem. And I am sure, it has been worked as expected (When I used Safari -> Services -> Neues RTF-Memo, DTPro opened and created the new file.) Nowadays the shortcut opens DTPro and it can be that nothing happens.

Could it be that DT Pro had to be opened once this same day? I just tried and it worked as expected.

I got used to this ‘maybe-behavior’ also because every morning I try to open the application before importing anything to DT Pro. Otherwise Safari for instance will show the spinning ball, waiting for the very sloooooow DTPro.

Ursula

DT Pro 1.3.1, destination is my folder .neu. Mac OS 10.4.10, iMac G5, 2,1 GHZ, 2.5 GB RAM.

As far as I can remember, I’ve always had to hit Command-) twice, also.
The first time opens the program, the second one actually adds the file to the database.

As an aside, DEVONnote works as expected (opens and adds the file).
I’ve always thought that DTpro just takes so long to open the main database on my system, that it just forgets what it was supposed to do when it gets there.
:wink:

OS X (10.4.10)
DTpro 1.3.1
New notes go to a folder called NEW FILES which is at the top level and “Select (and display)” is not checked.

Mark

As services can time out - how long does it usually take to launch DT Pro?

I’m using DT Office pro 1.3.1. In preferences, I have selected New Notes to Incoming at the top level in the database. Select New Notes Automatically is not activated.

The copy action fails when DT is closed, whether or not was opened previously. It does work when DT is open.

Running OSX 10.4.10 on 800 mHz PowerPC G4 iMac, 1 gB SDRAM.

Thanks,
Mark

I think Christian put his finger on the issue. Depending on the size of the database and the amount of memory available, a Services call could time out (Apple’s code sets the timeout interval) before the database is fully open and ready to receive new data.

My database is always open, so I don’t run into that problem.

I imagine you’re right about Services timing out. I just quit DT Pro and relaunched it, then repeated that two more times:
First time, from double-clicking the database to an open window: 77 seconds
Second time: 32 seconds
Third time: 21 seconds.

Don’t know why it would decrease so much between subsequent launches, but I’m relatively sure I’ve experienced launch times that exceed two minutes (keeping in mind I’m not complaining about that: I’m using a Blue & White G3, upgraded to a G4, 500 Mhz, with only 1 GB of RAM; my database is 2.2 GB–in the meantime, my kids have a G5 iMac and my wife just got a MacBook Pro, neither of which I will use because it just hurts to spend the rest of the day in front of the Plodder).

Mark

The time depends on both volume caching and virtual memory, e.g. the database could be cached after the first launch and/or the virtual memory has to free up some memory for DT Pro. The second explanation is more likely as you’re using a large database on a computer with little RAM.

My database is typically about 70 mB. I don’t run many other applications at the same time, Safari, Mail, Spell Catcher, iTunes.

This discussion is great. But what about a solution? Are we stuck because Applescript times out? I’ve minimized the impact of this by opening the DT database when the computer logs on in the morning. I do most of the research I need and clip articles right away. Then I close the database because it is using up resources when I don’t need it. However, a couple of time during the day, I’ll find something I want to add and then I have to go through the two step process. It’s not a deal breaker, by any means, just an inconvenience that troubles me every day. Hence, I seek a solution. Please don’t misunderstand my tone. This is an excellent, no a superlative program. It has really streamlined my work and I’m thankful for it.

You can do something about AppleScript timeouts, Services timeouts are a different beast. However, Mac OS X is pretty good at swapping out unused resources so you could keep the database open all the time. When you’re not using it, eventually the memory it uses is moved to disk and stays there until you clip something again thus making space for other programs in the meantime.

Annard’s suggestion is the one I use – keep the database open all the time – especially as I spend more time in it than in any other application.

I usually have open at the same time Mail, DEVONagent, iCal, Preview and one or two others.

With only 2 GB RAM in my MacBook Pro, I will use Virtual Memory after a while. So I restart every day or two to start fresh.

My Power Mac G5 dual core has 5 GB RAM and I almost never see pageouts. My next laptop will have 4 GB RAM, and that will handle memory needs much better than my present MacBook Pro.

Even this is not really necessary, the OS X kernel is capable of shrinking the VM if many pages are not used anymore. :wink:

All right, guys. Thanks. I guess background operation is the way to go.

Kind regards,
Mark

Bill, you’ve mentioned pageouts several times. I have an idea this is a measure of how often an application is calling on virtual memory to complete a task. If this is correct, how do you see these pageouts and is there a level beyond which it just makes more sense to either close programs or restart?

Thanks.
Mark

Yes, lots of pageouts indicates heavy use of virtual memory.

Suppose I’m preparing to explore some concepts by running a series of See Also operations on documents in my database. That’s really memory intensive. If there’s enough free RAM, the See Also list pops up very quickly when I select a new document. But if I’m out of free memory, there will be a pause, because VM must be used and that takes disk access.

So before I start that series of operations I might quit and then relaunch DT Pro, or do a restart to clear out all the VM swap files.

Actually, Apple’s Virtual Memory is quite amazing, as it will permit memory-intensive operations to go to completion even with little available RAM. But I’m spoiled. I like things to happen quickly. :slight_smile:

Activity Monitor will let you keep an eye on memory usage.

There’s truth to that old saying: RAM is good; more RAM is better. I’m happy to see that Apple has raised the RAM that can be installed in a current MacBook Pro to 4 GB, and that the price of 2 GB RAM sticks has fallen dramatically.

Yes, I get that pause with DT Pro all the time–most often when I use the “Take Rich Note” Service the first time after DT Pro being inactive for a while. As I think I mentioned elsewhere, my machine is limited to 1GB RAM and I have to stoke its furnace when the coal is delivered. I’m hoping to move to a Mini in the near future (which will only allow 2GB RAM but will have a significantly faster CPU). All on the way to a Tower with max GB RAM and a quinfourple processor or whatever the heck they have these days.

I’ve opened AM occassionally but I have yet to figure out how to get the best use of it. I"m off to see if there are some article somewhere that might explain how to interpret all that information.

Thanks, Bill!
Mark

I have the same effect. Sometimes the IN-Folder gets, it sometimes not. I think it depends on the type of document (small textsnippet or nearly complete, large page)
Most important is imho the size of the database (related to the Ram?)
My database is about 1,5 gigs. Ram 1GB (Macbook 2GHz, Starting time about 20-25 seconds)
I have, as Bill recommends, open DTP al the time, but its impossible with this. Any Ideas how can I solve this without bying Ram only for DTP?
Any way to split the in-Folder and the archiv, which are in the same 1,5 Gig db. (both must be there and beeing searchable with the same search)
Does DTP really unblock the memory after quitting?