Closed Volumes (dtSparse) (Catalina Bug?)

I never did anything special. It may be because the volume is mounted invisible. Had tried to set it visible with “sudo SetFile -a v / Volumes / …”, but the command does not work (and does not provide any error) …

The volume is invisible on all macOS versions, this is intentional. Do you use PathFinder, Parallels or any other unusual 3rd-party software?

I have Parallels installed, but actually not running. I have also many other apps, but what do you mean with “unusual” … with full disk access?

Software that modifies the behaviour of macOS (like Parallels). Is the used Parallels version compatible to Catalina? Does it work as expected after booting in safe mode?

Yesterday i tested the following configuration:

1. one “original” encrypted database (dtSparse)
  2. one database (dtBase2) inside encrypted sparsebundle (created with disk utility)
  3. two other encrypted sparsebundle volumes without any connection to Devonthink

The result was, that volumes regarding point 1. and 2. were unmounted. I suspect that the volumes were unmounted “during” the standby mode (i’ll test that in the next days). So it seems very likely that uncontrolled unmounting has something to do with the Devonthink database. However, that must be because of Catalina, since I have always had a dtBase2 in an encrypted sparsebundle volume under Mojave without any issues…

Hope, that helps!

I didn’t tried that, because you can’t say exactly when it happens. I’ll try that next weekend…

The volumes are created/mounted using the Terminal command “hdiutil”, according to the docs its behaviour should be identical to former macOS versions. However, so far we haven’t experienced this on our own, therefore debugging is difficult.

I was wondering about the same kind of thing - Energy Saver putting disks to sleep when possible. However, I still haven’t seen the unmounting issue.

Also looking a bit at hibernatemode. Given iOS’ penchant for terminating processes on its own, and Apple’s continued iOS-ification of macOS, I am thinking it’s a bug of the OS or intentional.

Does this only happen when DEVONthink (or something else) isn’t running that would presumably prevent the volume from unmounting?

I think @tjur also told on a later post that at least now he’s created APFS sparsebundle volumes with Disk Utility. Am I right?

I have another thread where I tried to create APFS sparsebundle .dtSparses with Disk Utility on Mojave, and then again upgrading to Catalina. My issue at first was that DEVONthink would automatically open the sparsebundle without asking for a password. I noticed the volumes get unmounted in Disk Utility, Finder, etc. But the remain mounted in /etc/Volumes, and also “not ejected” in Disk Utility (grey text). I tried to create the volumes multiple times on both Mojava and Catalina with this technique, and it never really worked. Then I created the sparsebundles in HFS+ format (Mac OS journaled) on Disk Utility, and it resolved most of my issues on Catalina. Can it be that APFS volumes in this unmounted/ejected state can then somehow eject at some later time?

Can it be that APFS volumes in this unmounted/ejected state can then somehow eject at some later time?

Perhaps but I can’t reproduce it at will to test. Maybe someone else has.

Hmm. Have you been able to reproduce other APFS sparsebundle issues I’ve reported? All of the issues I’ve reported between APFS/HFS+ sparsebundles can be repeatedly reproduced on my Mac. For instance, my custom APFS sparsebundle volumes fail to eject properly every time when DEVONthink db is closed. I’ve tried it countless of times both on latest Mojave and Catalina, creating databases on both of the systems (both formatted natively to APFS). HFS+ works mostly out of the box. If that’s the case, maybe there’s something different in my system compared to others. For instance, I have a 2012 iMac with a hybrid drive with magnetic+SSD, with which Apple took long time to get APFS implemented on. The hybrid drive showed as a single volume at least earlier on, though it’s actually the magnetic drive with the SSD. I don’t know what tricks they had to do with that one. Or maybe some other issue.

How regularly are the APFS disks unmounted ?