Cloudkit sync error "CkErrorDomain 2"

Anyone seen this message? I have on my mac a devonthink store in webdav and want to transition to cloudkit. I selected cloudkit and one of my databases for a test. Then on my phone loaded devonthink (no store or sync) and selected cloudkit and then get this error.

and want to transition to cloudkit.

May I ask why?

Mainly have it sync when I am on the go as well as another backup. Unless that is a bad idea.

As noted many times :slight_smile: …
Sync is ​not ​a backup, neither advertised nor advocated as such. We strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar snapshot-style backup applications) and external drives. Also, you should read the series of articles we posted: DEVONtechnologies | Search & Find

That being said, the next question is…

Mainly have it sync when I am on the go

Why?

There are two questions to consider…

• Do you have an assistant, colleague, family member, etc., that needs to have quick and frequent access to modifications in a database while you’re out and about?
  • Are you using a shallow sync in DEVONthink To Go?

PS: There is a forum post discussing the options and considerations of the available sync methods: Sync Types Explained​
If you do need a remote option, CloudKit has not been very reliable for many people ​(including developers) ​for several months.​ You may want to consider an alternative.

Time machine failed me once so I use my synology but also wanted to use the cloud but you are correct sync is not a backup but a lazy way at doing it. Maybe I will just use backblaze.

Backups, as you found, sometimes can fail. As long as you are setting up a new backup regime, consider implementing a 3-2-1 Strategy. Discussed numerous places on “the web”.

TimeMachine works for me, and was your one-time failure caused by the software, configuration, or the hardware? I use TimeMachine (to attached external drives and to Synology NAS which creates redundancy), Backblaze (for offsite backup), and Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC to NAS, for the really important stuff).

And, as you can read on this forum, Apple’s CloudKit not reliable for many people to provide sync. I rely on Bonjour and don’t have issues.

2 Likes

And remember, sync is not doing a file copy. It’s raw, chunked, and optionally encrypted data only useful to DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go.

A proper backup is application-agnostic.

1 Like