Combine or consolidate DT data bases?

Due to poor planning or unclear thinking when I was moving from one MacBook to new one I ended up with two DT3 databases that are probably 70% the same. Is there a way to combine them into one, keeping only the most recent edited version of otherwise duplicate files?

You may find this old thread helpful.

Stephen

The old thread you mentioned is helpful. Thank you. Since the two largely redundant data bases in question have the same structural organization, I can be selective about what I drag over.

I do have a local (external drive) backup.

At this point, I don’t see what the advantage would be of maintaining more than one DT database. I am hoping to end up with just one DT database. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do that?

I suspect only you can decide. However, if, for example, you synchronise your databases to another device (which I do not) you might want a smaller sub-set of data in the database you synchronise (for speedier synchronisation). That’s merely an example, of course. I hope it helps.

Stephen

2 Likes

At this point, I don’t see what the advantage would be of maintaining more than one DT database. I am hoping to end up with just one DT database. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do that?

See Getting Started > Building Your Database in the built-in help or manual for more thoughts on this.

How would you merge the databases if one wanted to merge them and only keep the most up to date files without creating duplicates?

I probably (without thinking more deeply), would create a new empty database, copy all probably by drag and drop from one of the databases, then do it again with the other database, then use the “Move Duplicates to Trash” script to remove the duplicates. Final step would be to inspect the new database and if happy, archive the two old databases to keep “just in case”.

1 Like