Combining Files

Thanks for all your help so far.

Is it possible to combine multiple text files or markdown files into on file?

Tools > Merge Items

Merge Items: Merge the selected documents into one. This creates a new file, preserving the originals. Hold the ⌥ key to choose Merge & Delete n Documents, removing the original files after the merged document is created.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Yes. As noted in Help > Documentation > Menus > The Tools Menu

The Merge command is also available in the contextual menu in the item list.

Thanks pete31 and BLUEFROG for your help when I asked something I just should have found my self.

There is a alot of material to cover and I want to get productive already with this great tool.

No worries. As I’ve said often, do not try to master DEVONthink. Use it for what you need to use it for and allow yourself time to explore on occasion.

1 Like

Good advice, though hard to follow.

though hard to follow.

What part is difficult?

Not delving in too deeply but rather staying focused on how I can use it for my needs.

I think that if I spend a little more time mastering the capabilities I would save myself a lot of time in my work flow.

I think that if I spend a little more time mastering the capabilities I would save myself a lot of time in my work flow.

Trust me, you’re not going to master the capabilities. DEVONthink is similar to Photoshop: both are deep. I have over 25 years in Photoshop and have a bunch of arcane knowledge about it, but am not a master as it’s too deep to know everything. Similarly. I have over 24,000 working hours in DEVONthink and haven’t mastered the application. I learn things about it every week, and have for 8 years. (@cgrunenberg is the person that is the closest to mastering it, but he’s also the creator and developer.)

I would save myself a lot of time in my work flow.

I would argue you’ll be more productive using DEVONthink as you need it now and exploring on your off-time.

@BLUEFROG Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

You’re welcome.