Complete, detailed activity history and more undo/recovery options?

I rely heavily on tags, and yet it is far too easy to accidentally delete all tags from a file, with no way (that I have found) of recovering them. I realize I could do a full restore but that always seems excessive to me. It would be great for “undo delete tags” to work when you overwrite them, but it would also be great if I could readily see which tags I have inadvertently deleted.

For this and other reasons, it would be amazing if DTPro would allow for users to capture a detailed history of all activity each session.

The principal (history, undo) has previously been discussed here. It’s more complex than it might at first appear.

yet it is far too easy to accidentally delete all tags from a file

How is it easily done?

Thank you. I read through, and I think I’m talking about something different. First, I’m talking about when I hit the touchpad and accidentally delete ten tags on a single PDF, not 3000 files. But also, I read through the thread and didn’t see/understand anything about a detailed activity history. I was thinking that doesn’t just help with undoing things, it would be great to have a record of other steps, too. (Such as which files I have already compressed or OCRed, because some PDF+texts still do need to be OCRed, etc.)

when I hit the touchpad and accidentally delete ten tags on a single PDF

I’m not sure how you’re accomplishing such a deletion by touching the trackpad. Can you clarify?

I was thinking that doesn’t just help with undoing things, it would be great to have a record of other steps, too.

Given the large number of possible operations multiplied by the large number fo files in a database, recoding such a history would cause the database to greatly increase in size.

There are many different ways that I have accidentally deleted tags on a PDF. Sometimes they disappear and don’t “take” for reasons I can’t even figure out. It’s user (mine) error, and you do have an “undo typing” option, but it doesn’t always work. If I had a record/history of what tags had existed on a file or what operations I had performed on a file, I could fix it, was all I was thinking. but I can see where that would be burdensome data/time wise. Thank you.

• Are you modifying Tags in DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go on another syncing Mac or iOS device?
  • Are you indexing files or importing them?

I import files. (I’m not sure what you mean by indexing them vs. importing, so I will go see the manual and try to figure that out.) And I’m using DevonThink Pro. (I also use DT To Go, less often, but it hasn’t been as much as a problem there.)

Indexing and importing is covered in the In & Out > Importing and Indexing section.

Are you modifying Tags in DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go on another syncing Mac or iOS device?

Thank you for pointing me to the section on indexing, and I’ll consider that option in the future.

For now, to answer your question, I have one Mac device (2020 laptop) with DevonThink Pro and one iPad (iOS), where I occasionally do use DT To Go. The problem has been happening when I apply tags using the Mac laptop with DTPro, so it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with syncing. It seems to happen when the database is at work on another function elsewhere (such as OCRing other files), so I might just need to wait to apply tags when I know that the server isn’t busy doing anything else. Thanks again.

You’re welcome.

Are you OCR’ing large batches of files in the background?

Yes, so that might be the problem.

Possible, though it shouldn’t be.

How many files are we talking about?

It varies. It’s fine, though. The fact they disappear or don’t take sometimes is a pretty minor issue. I mostly just wanted to find a way to backup tags or record which tags a file has had over time and/or capture them along with my notes. I’ll look further into ways to do that. Thanks again.

You’re welcome.