Connection to server timed out

Is there enough space available on the iPad Air for the database(s)?

Iā€™ve been complaining about this for years. I love DT in all its guises but have zero trust in sync. I donā€™t think they do either ā€¦ why do they say you canā€™t use sync for backup? If it was reliable it would be perfect for backup, sync to a computer and have that backup the data.

But. as you observed there is no way to be SURE a sync is complete, no version number or reference (like git). Itā€™s a matter of blind faith. But faith in what?

My new latest problem is that every time I power up my iPhone or iPad large chunks of the database are downloaded again. Why??? Nothing was changed on whither device. Wtf is it doing?

The tech support people will tell you over and over that there are no problems with sync even while reading issue after issue on a daily basis and blaming other companies for sync problems.

They are in denial imho.

A good first step would be the database version number, than at least you would know the two machines are in sync.

That is incorrect.
Sync is not a backup and has never been advocated or advertised as such.
Sync data is raw, chunked, and optionally encrypted DEVONthink-specific data only usable by DEVONthink of DEVONthink To Go. A proper backup is application agnostic and the files are retrievable in situ. So no, sync would not be perfect for backups.

2 Likes

Sorry, maybe I wasnā€™t clear. Itā€™s the long press on the button that doesnā€™t work. Sync works on all devices, albeit slowly.

Ok, I get that about the files being intact in the database. In fact, I had to recover a lost file once and was delighted with how easy it was using TImeMachineā€¦

But if I scan a file on MH it has to reach DT and then be backed up on the computer?

just to clarify - by unplugging all your networks on both devices, do you mean turning the wifi/internet connection off on both devices?

I am having the same connection to server timed out issue. I get that message in DTTG every minute and literally not one file can ever finish uploading. This problem has pretty much rendered DTTG unusable to me. I have had a ton of problems with sync over the years. I have tried so many solutions, from deleting databases from DTTG and starting over, clearing, and every other option I could think of. At this point, Iā€™m at a total loss as to what to do to get my databases to actually sync up properly so I can use DTTG again. I am running the most current versions of both apps.

Little information here to go with ā€¦

: what is the exact error message and on what device?

: what cloud sync method, which defines the server that is being time-ed out? (CloudKit, iCloud, Dropbox, etc.). Have you tried a different server account? If so, what was the result?

: have you tried Bonjour which is both faster and more reliable than cloud syncing? And if so what was the result?

Probably there are other questions that others can think of, but this a start.

The error is ā€œconnection to server timed outā€ on both the iPad and Mac. I have CloudKit and Bonjour enabled and according to the forums the default is the faster sync method goes first. But in this case Iā€™m talking about, it is definitely Bonjour sync and not any cloud sync.

Bizarre thing is that it used to work and just stopped. I also neglected to mention this happens with one specific database. I sync 3 different databases aside from the Global Inbox, and everything else looks to be in sync.

See page 177 of the DEVONthink Handbook ā€œSync Issuesā€ for some guidance I wonā€™t bother repeating here. Also ensure the databases you target to sync are ā€œopenā€ in all devices.

Have done all that. Iā€™ve never used DT to its full potential, but I have been using it for 10+ years now, so Iā€™m good with the basics. Including checking the user manual. Haha.

Good to hear. There are things suggested in the DEVONthink Handbook to troubleshoot sync issues that you havenā€™t mentioned you have done.

Perhaps others here have suggestions beyond thatā€¦ Likely youā€™ll maybe be invited to submit feedback to DEVONthink by @bluefrog.

• Have you checked DEVONthinkā€™s Bonjour Options are enabled?
  • Have you quit and relaunched DEVONthink?

Yes and yes. Multiple times. And I donā€™t have multiple bonjour connections open. Only on the Mac.

As you said you are ā€œgood with the basicsā€ and ā€œchecking the user manualā€, Iā€™m guessing that youā€™ve done everything suggested in the DEVONthink Handbook, including the verify/repair, clean, and maybe rebuild on the one database that you report does not syncā€¦

Have you rebooted the Mac and iOS device?

Thatā€™s the one thing I havenā€™t done.

Yes.