Consider GoodReader for annotation & sync to DTTG

For those who do regular .pdf annotation and light note taking, consider GoodReader. Especially on the iPad. Recent updates include folder-level synchronization with Dropbox, iDisk, WiFi disk, or WebDAV. Excellent annotation features (they’ve added typewriter and callouts to the program with the recent release). Highly compatible with Acrobat annotations. Also added a new feature to view, browse, and print (e.g., with Printopia to Dropbox), or email all annotations to a separate file. The price is amazingly low for the features, and this developer aggressively pays attention to user suggestions and updates functionality on a regular basis. It is very easy to sync both DT and GR with your cloud folders and maintain a workflow for your reading & notation queue.

[size=85]Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Good.iware other than being very satisfied with the product.[/size]

I absolutely second that recommendation. I usually annotate pdf files on the Mac with Preview and on DTTG I use GoodReader. Both programs are compatible, the annotations can easily be distinguished from the document content and be modified or deleted across the platforms. DT+DTTG help me to keep my collection in sync without worrying what I’ve changed or where, they are the great companions for my paperless studies.

GoodReader can also show pictures, play audio and video, unzip archives and handle many more filetypes. Hopefully DTTG will soon be able to sync these files and send them to GoodReader, this will increase the usefulness of both apps even more.

Being a fan of DTTG & GR:
What I would love to do is opening a DTTG PDF file GR for annotation and having it been saved back automatically to DTTG.
How is this possible?

It’s not possible. Apple did not include an independent folder structure in iOS. Apps and data are not separable. When you “open in” something iOS makes a new copy of the data and connects it to the other app. DTTG has a workaround but it’s a kludge (the roundtripping of cascading “open in” actions based on encoding document UUIDs in the name). The root problem (some would argue, though, it’s a beauty) is Apple’s architectural decision.

Can you give a rundown of how exactly you use these together? I understand that you can use the “open in feature” to get the PDF into GoodReader, but at that point how do you get it back to DT? Do you keep the PDF in dropbox, and index the dropbox’d file/folder from DT?

You use “open in” from GoodReader, and open the annotated document back into DTTG. DTTG recognizes the file name, and replaces the older, unannotated version with the newer. You might wish to read the workflow I posted for iAnnotate - same workflow for GoodReader.

Yes.