Constant "spinning ball" issue

I allways had the issue then when working in my database from time to time that I get the spinning ball - for example If I want to mark something with a red tag.

Since I have updated to OS Ventura - I get this at every 4-5´s click I do in Devonthink - no matter what I do which makes working with DT a nightmare.

Any ideas why that is happening or how I can fix it?

Devonthink 3.8.6 - iMac Pro 32 GB RAM - Ventura 13.0.1

How large are your databases (number of items/words, see File > Database Properties)? Does this still happen after closing all databases and using only the inbox?

it contains around 7.000 objects - 36 GB

if I close it and only work in the Inbox I have no issues.

So the database is too big for DT? Well I thought it´s specially made for large database.
so that means I cannot do anything against it and have to live with it - puh that´s sad.
But okay - at least I know now that it´s not a bug or wrong configuration.

But how many words and unique words?

3 Million different - 107 Million in total

Thanks! That’s not extraordinary.

Do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor . Select our application in the list of processes. Press Command-Option-S to run a sample on it. When the sample window opens, press the Save button and save it to your Desktop.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. Please attach the process sample to the ticket.

I got the report but it´s not letting me upload it (just images)
here is a dropboxlink to it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/isn2x1b0l16giwz/Analyse%20von%20%E2%80%9EDEVONthink%203%E2%80%9C.txt?dl=0

The delay was caused by a scheduled internal backup, this should happen only once per week & database. Are the databases located on the internal disc/SDSD or on a slow external or network volume?

I get the spinning ball all the time can´t be only because of a temporary backup - but the hin with the SSD is a good idea - as the database is on a connected external harddrive - I will move it to the internal SSD and see if that fixes the behaviour.

2 Likes

Additional samples would be appreciated, maybe it’s not the only issue. In addition, how many databases are usually opened at the same time?

Just two databases are opended at the same time.
I transfered the database now to the internal SSD and so far I got no spinning ball anymore.
So it seems to have been the poor performance of the HDD in combination with a huge database.

I will monitor it but it seems to be fixed now by moving the database - thanks for your great support!

2 Likes

A screenshot of File > Database Properties would be interesting, thanks in advance!

Glad you are getting to the bottom of this. Could be the USB cable, could be the SSD external disk. Maybe disk on verge of failure. Hard to tell. Perhaps, after getting everything copied across, use DiskUtility to do “First Aid”.

Maybe disk on verge of failure. Hard to tell

The downside of the SSD: No internal click of death we used to hear on spinning platter disks. When SSDs fail, it’s just abrupt and without warning. :confused:

1 Like

Like all other failures including malware are silent… just a matter of a good backup strategy.

1 Like

just a matter of a good backup strategy.

Agreed. Another reason why we keep harping on people to get and keep their backups going :smiley:

2 Likes

“But I use Dropbox for backups and never had a problem”. Yea.

2 Likes