Content keeps disappearing

I made a new page with plain text and typed in a list of all my family’s birthdays, anniversaries, and so on. It took an hour to look up all the information and calculate the actual dates of birth.

When I was finished, I pressed Shift-Cmd-K for “Backup & Compress.”
The right pane went blank, and the “Dates” item was deselected.

I went back and selected Dates, and the page was completely blank. Verify & Repair found nothing wrong. The page in History was also blank.

I went back and reconstructed the entire page in a text editor, then copied it into Dates. Backup and Compress worked this time. It still deselected Dates, but when I clicked on it the content was still there.

I added one more name and date to the list by typing it in. Backup & Compress did its number, deselecting Dates. I clicked on Dates and the list was there, but not the name and date I had just added.

I typed it in again, hit Backup, same thing happened: deselected Dates, I clicked on Dates, list was there, newly added name and date wasn’t.

The third time I did exactly the same thing, the new item stayed.,

I ran Verify & Repair (nothing wrong), then quit and restarted the program, and continued experimenting with adding text to my list. Sometimes it stayed there after Backup, usually it didn’t. It didn’t matter whether I used the keyboard shortcut or the menu item for Backup.

What on earth is going on?

Tom Kirshbaum

Tom,

Backup and Compress doesn’t save the current document. Try saving the document (or your content changes) first and then Backup and Compress.

Hope this helps.

– Paul

>>Backup and Compress doesn’t save the current document. Try saving the document (or your content changes) first and then Backup and Compress.

Aha! When I didn’t see any Save in the File menu, having the Mac OS in my blood stream going back many years, I assumed there was no such thing.

Thanks, Paul

Tom

This bug will be fixed in v1.7.3 as Backup & Compress should save modified contents of editable note pad/outline views.

Sounds good, but it’s my fault. The Save command is clear as day in the Content menu. I should have looked there.

Tom