Convert to Markdown creates an E-book

When I convert an RTF file to Markdown, using the Convert option in the Data menu, it creates a file that shows up as an E-book. Is that normal?

I have lots and lots of RTF notes in my database, and want to convert them to Markdown so I can point Obsidian to them.

I suppose the filename still ends in .md, or do you really see .epub there? Is the content markdown or epub?

Maybe you could look up the “Open with…” entry for .md files in Finder – the default is probably Books or another ePub-Reader. If you change the association in finder so that it points to a markdown editor, that will propagate to DT.

Perfect – that worked. I went to Finder and changed the “Open with…” default to MacDown. Done! Thank you.

I pick this discussion up though it is already old. I have the same problem:

In DEVONthink my Markdown files are listed as the document type “E-book”.

The solution described in this discussion does not work for me. All my markdown files are categorised within Finder as the file type “markdown”. Moreover, all these files are set to be open with “DEVONthink 3” as the standard.

So, any other ideas what I can do to change the file type from ebook to markdown?

Ok, a couple of minutes later and I can tell that the problem is solved :wink:

The described solution here works. However, it only works from within DEVONthink. The required steps are:

1. In DEVONthink go to a markdown file
  2. Right click this file
  3. Choose “Show in Finder” from the context menu that shows up
  4. In the window that pops up, right click on the file
  5. Choose “Open with”
  6. Select a markdown editor (I have chosen DEVONthink)
  7. Before you confirm this, check the box “Always open with”
  8. Now, you are all set

For me, it did not work using only the “Finder”. In Finder, I searched for a markdown file, right clicked it and it showed that this kind of file will always be opened via DEVONthink. But obviously that was not true.

Sorry for the hassle!

Welcome @wlars and no worries! DEVONthink gets that information directly from the Finder, as you have discovered.

One thing to note: Selecting DEVONthink as your Markdown editor will cause a document in the Finder to be imported into the Global Inbox. Is that what you hope to happen?

Thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks too for the info. Did not know that. But currently that is fine with me. My main use case is to start new markdown documents from within DEVONthink. I currently don’t have any other specific markdown editor.

I simply use markdown for its advantages (e.g. its interoperability and lay-outing). Thanks!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: