Converting multipage-TIFFs to OCR-PDFs and get document date from original TIFF

Hi to all,

I just wanted to import my old ELO-archive and the tip here in the forum with importing the ESW-Exportdirectory worked like a charm… Thank for that hint!!!

Now I have the problem, that all the files are TIF-documents, mostly multipage Tiffs, which are not displayed (only first page). I can convert the files to OCR-PDFs with a smart rule, which worked and I get a PDF+Text with all pages. But, the document date of the new PDFs is time of conversion, but I want to have the timestamp of the original document. I currently did not find any way to set the timestamp from the original file automatically while conversion.
Now the question is, if there is a way, that I did not find until now.
Thanks for any suggestions/hints in advance
Ulrich

Welcome @UlrichC

the document date of the new PDFs is time of conversion,

Note: Document date is a specific term in DEVONthink, which is a date relative to the context of the document. This is distinct from the Creation, Modification, Addition, or Opened dates.

DEVONthink can attempt to extract a document date from a file, e.g., an OCR’d PDF. However, it is not foolproof.

In a Change Name action of a smart rule, control-click and choose Insert Placeholder for choices of Document Date detection.

25%20AM

Here is an example rule…

Thank you very much for the hint, but this did not work because:
My smart rule action is “OCR” “to searchable PDF”. This creates a new PDF-File with the same name of the original TIFF files and the suffix “PDF”. But now, it seams, that there is no chance to get the dates from the original TIFF to set the creation date of the PDF.

The renaming was a good idea, but then I need a function to extract the date from the filename to set the date on the new file (some sort of “variable” ;-)).

there is no chance to get the dates from the original TIFF

You can’t extract the date from the TIFF file. There is no date in it.

Here is a rule that does OCR and changes the creation date…

Ahhh, the solution was the “OCR” with “apply” (instead of “in durchsuchbares PDF”). Now, there is no additional PDF-file created and the changing of the creation date can be avoided.
Great, that’s the way to go. Thank you very much!!!

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: