Copying Email from DT3 to AirMail

Airmail has a “Send to Devonthink” option which is not very helpful as most of the formatting and attachments are lost in the process.

However, if I simply drag an email from Airmail to DT3 it works really well - the original email with formatting and attachments are copied to DT3 and there is even the ability in a context menu to re-open the email in Airmail.

Question - is it possible to create a script to copy the email rather than Drag/Drop? Any hints on how to do that?

Does Airmail finally have useful AppleScript support? The last time I had a look at it it was basically only able to send emails.

is it possible to create a script to copy the email rather than Drag/Drop?

Airmail has very poor inter-application communication functions. Apple Mail is by far the best of breed for this kind of thing.

I would love to use Apple Mail if I could. However my mailbox is quite large (50 Gb) as I use it in part to archive items - and Apple Mail cannot practically handle a mailbox that large - it slows my whole computer to a crawl when I try

Only 10.5 GB over here and it’s fine. But maybe because I completely disabled Spotlight :slight_smile:

I use Airmail too, mainly because:

• It has unique identifiers for each e-mail. This means that it does not change notwithstanding moving it between folders in Airmail. Having that id you can open this message from any app (Things, DT, etc) on any device (OSX, iOS). Say, you made reminder in Things on Macbook, and when you open it on iPhone, you can quickly go to the message by this id and have all features of Airmail to do what you want with it. And it leads us to the second reason
  • I don’t use DT mail archiving feature. Waiting for DevTech to make a direct IMAP/Exchange interface in DT :wink:

As for AppleScript in Airmail - it is still really poor. You have access to many message fields, including attachments paths, but you cannot make “Export to EML…” - no such function. You can’t even make it with GUI macro (like with KM), cause “Export to EML…” works only with one message at a time. The best workaround - is just select all the messages you need in Airmail and drag it to DT. Though you can make a script to import all attachments of selected messages to DT.

Having said all that, I don’t understand why anyone would want to keep eml copies in DT… Doing this you triplicate attachments (Email client storage, eml in DT with attachments, Attachments in DT in separate) and what for? To have useless EML-format document in DT? When having a direct link you can go to a needed letter from anywhere and have all possible functions to do with it, not just reply. AI search? But really conceptual documents no one write in message body, they are all in attachments, for “body message flood” - standard search functions of ordinary e-mail client is more than enough.

May be I misunderstand this feature…
Looking forward to solid arguments )

Yeah, that’s probably a really good idea to disable Spotlight. Especially since I am really impressed with the quick search capability of Devonsphere. Disabling Spotlight might speed up lots of things.

That seems to work well actually - I am only trying to do this for individual messages of importance and I can export to .eml and then save from there to DT3. I should be able to create a KM macro and make buttons on my Stream Deck for DT3 destinations I use regularly.

Because I use DT3 on multiple computers, not all of which have Airmail installed.

And because sometimes I access DT3 through the Web Server; it cannot resolve direct links to other apps.

Also because I am saving specific emails to particular groups in DT3 related to a particular project. Sometimes I use the “Export to website” option in DT3 so I can share the contents of a particular DT3 group with a client; that does not work if the contents include x-links to another application.

IMHO it’s much easier to just drag and drop selected messages than go through all that dialogs, even with KM help. All the more - you’ve got now a nice and very handy DT Sorter icon in menubar.

Airmail license is more expensive than DT? As I understand, Airmail is an AppStore app, so you can install it on all your appleID devices. I guess your iPhone is always at hand anyway. But if you are talking about individual message cases - yes, it’s viable, but it’s not an “archiving mail function”, it’s “saving particular messages”.

Can’t say here, never used Server. But everywhere I used universal Airmail links - it worked fine. Can I somehow reproduce it?

This is again - individual “specific emails”. I can understand it. All the more it is concerned with internal DT use. Nevertheless, isn’t it easier to forward that particular e-mail? EML format is almost nothing outside e-mail client…

Doing this you triplicate attachments (Email client storage, eml in DT with attachments, Attachments in DT in separate) and what for?

Many people archive emails into DEVONthink and remove them from their email clients/servers. This is not uncommon when corporate email limits the amount of space given to users.

To have useless EML-format document in DT?

.eml files aren’t useless to many people. In fact, we have thousands of people who archive emails for a variety of reasons, both personal and professional.

But really conceptual documents no one write in message body, they are all in attachments, for “body message flood” - standard search functions of ordinary e-mail client is more than enough.

That is definitely not the broad case. People don’t always send attachments and many emails have lengthy message bodies.

Don’t be under the false impression that DEVONthink is for business people or academics or some other specific group of people. Our user base includes those as well as people ranging from musicians to authors, from highschoolers to retired professors, people managing their households and others planning vacations, etc.

1 Like

Agreed - I am pondering just using the sorter. It does work very well for this purpose.

Not a cost issue - One of the computers is a laptop used only for travel, sometimes to destinations with marginal Internet bandwidth. Syncing Airmail would not work well in that situation.

Do you mean a link such as this from Edit-Copy Message Link?

airmail://message?mail=rkaplan%40kaplan.rehab&messageid=ad2dec358dc84c878d99747d877dd4a9%40nata.aero

It works only on a computer in which the relevant Airmail database is present. It will not work via the Web Server nor will it work on a local Mac if the relevant Airmail database is not installed.

That means that long-term, your ability to retrieve the message is contingent upon that database existing. If the Airmail database crashes, you will not be able to retrieve the message in the future. On the other hand, if you copy the original message into DT3, then it is assured as being accessible long-term.

Agreed, if there are hard limits. Just never encountered that. Or maybe if you close account, you just archive it, or move to some endless gmail or icloud.

I’ve just meant that you can do almost nothing with it outside e-mail client (detach attachments, change contents, reuse it) - only see the body contents. So, why pull it out there (except mailbox limits, which today is a rare case I think, but this is imho)

All this leads us to the main question:
When are you going to implement a native DT IMAP/Exchange interface?
I’m sure - that would be really synergic! With all the powers of DT automation and AI it can become a most comprehensive “much-far-not-only e-mail client” on Earth ) I personally would pay another $50-$100 for this integration and quit using other e-mail clients.

I configured Airmail on iMac, MacBook Pro and iPhone to download all messages, so Airmail database is present everywhere and in full. Hence that airmail:// links work everywhere and do not require internet connection.

Of course, if you don’t have your e-mail database somewhere - you won’t be able to see it there, would it be Airmail or DT. You are right, the question is where (in what environment) it is more reliable to deal with this issue.