Copying indexed files/folder to database

Hi DEVONthink Users!

Is it possible to copy indexed files to Database instead of moving it?

best regards
Mario

We may have some confusion of terminology here. Although DEVONthink indexes (whenever possible) the text content of documents captured into databases, the term Index is also used for a capture mode.

DEVONthink provides two options for capturing files from the Finder into a database:

1. Import: Use ofcom File > Import > Files & Folders (or drag & drop into DEVONthink) will copy selected files into a database. The selected files are not moved or deleted from the Finder. There is a check box option in the navigation screen to delete the original files, however.

A variation of Import by dragging & dropping selected Finder files into the Inbox location in the left column of Finder windows will move the selected files into DEVONthink’s Global Inbox.

1. Index: Use of the File > Index command will capture text indexing and metadata about the selected Finder file(s), but the actual file isn’t copied into the database but remains external in the Finder, and the database retains a Path to the file.

There are some operational differences between Imported and Indexed databases, but either can be a valid choice, depending on the user’s needs and preferences.

I prefer Imported (self-contained) databases. Greg Jones makes good use of Indexed databases. There is discussion of the two modes in the user documentation PDF and Help, and a number of threads on these topics in the user forum.

I have several Project Folders indexed from our office NAS. For work at Weekend or at the evening i want copy some files from these indexed Folders to my harddisk. But the only command i have found is “in Datenbank verschieben” or “move to Database”. ?? Is there an Option to leave the files on the NAS.

Thanks

One possibility would be to Import into a new group or new database just those files you would need to work with while you are not connected to the server on which the Indexed files reside.

When finished with the temporary need to work with those files while you don’t have access to them, you could delete them.