Crash: DEVONthink 3.7 hangs with md files on one machine

I’m seeing this too so have turned off the WYSIWYG. Let me know if you want another sample from Activity Monitor.

Which version of macOS and which plain text font do you use?

If you need more samples just let me know and I’ll do the same.

Stephen

Samples aren’t necessary anymore, the used macOS version and plain text font would be helpful. Thanks!

macOS 11.2.3. Plain text font Meno Regular 13 (white text on black background, for good measure!).

Stephen

And is this on an Intel or M1 Mac?

Intel mac—sorry, yet another thing I should remember to mention these days!

Stephen

My M1 11.2.3 and Lucida Grande crashed. I also tried on an Intel Mac 10.15.7 and Menlo Regular 11 but it doesn’t crash on the same Markdown doc. I also have custom CSS and a script that puts all the text into a custom metadata tag (on the crashing machine).

Crashed or froze?

Sorry, froze - as reported by others. DT hangs for long enough that I force quit. I haven’t tried turning WYSIWYG back on because I have usually have 9 or 10 databases open and don’t like dealing with ‘locked’ dialogues, etc., on restart.

Does deleting the preferences fix this? Just enter defaults delete com.devon-technologies.think3 in the Terminal.app while DEVONthink 3 isn’t running.

Yes, seems ok now. Thanks.
Also, might not be relevant but I happened to open one of the .md docs in BBedit and noticed lots of ‘gremlins’ (showing as upside-down question marks). I’ve no idea how these got in there. The doc originated in DT but has had lots of pasted URLs, etc and editing over time, only in DT and it’s sync’d to mobile.

Maybe the document uses UTF-16 but BBEdit uses the wrong encoding?

Hello Christian

I can confirm that this fixes the problem for me, too.

1 Like

I confirm that also fixed the problem I had. (Sorry for not trying it earlier—I was wary of having to reset my preferences but finally bit the bullet and did so.)

Stephen

1 Like

@Stephen_C and @BurningChrome:
Thanks for the follow-up that trashing the preferences alleviated the issue :slight_smile:

I have to thank you @cgrunenberg and @BLUEFROG for finding a way to fix this!

I forgot that today, before using the command, I updated to 10.3. Not sure if this helped?

Hope that you can find a way to prevent this without users needing to fiddle with terminal commands…

2 Likes

It’s just happened again. Clicked the icon to switch a Markdown file from preview to edit and DT froze. Force quit. I did an Activity Monitor sample if you want it.

Did you actually find any bug related to this? I don’t want to keep resetting prefs.

Thanks

The next release will include a change which should hopefully fix this Big Sur issue.

3 Likes

Thanks, Christian!

Typical excellent Devon service. Good luck :slight_smile: