Cursor Size Changed with Upgrade

Assistance please. A couple of days ago I started seeing a very bold blinking cursor on all my notes. It’s quite distracting and I want it back like it was pre upgrade. Unfortunately, I upgraded my Mac to Sonoma and upgraded DT3 to 3.9.4 at the same time, so I don’t know which caused the behavior change and don’t know if it can be changed within DT3 or someplace on my Mac. I also noticed a change when opening an old .txt file - the blinking cursor is now both blue and bold - so I suspect it has to do with the Mac upgrade. Any work-arounds?

DEVONthink does neither customize/handle the cursor on its own nor did the recent update change anything related to it. Therefore the most likely reason seems to be Sonoma but a screenshot would be helpful.

There’s (what appears to be) a similar thread on the Scrivener forum: Huge Blue Pill Cursor in Scrivener 3.3.3 for macOS Sonoma - Scrivener for macOS - Literature & Latte Forums. Toward the bottom of the thread, KB (Scrivener’s developer) references a page on the stackoverflow.com website that proposes a command-line solution that is reported to help. I am not running Sonoma and so haven’t tested this…and no way of disabling the effects of this command is suggested…YMMV of course.

1 Like

Here’s an image of the cursor right next to the “I” from within a DT3 note, and the cursor is the same size in both RichText and Text notes. The size and blinking create a really annoying attention grabber.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 7.52.33 AM

Thanks for the link. Well, at least I know I’m not alone and it sounds like there’s no easy fix without some scripting and terminal - had to look up YMMV and understand the disclaimer.

I am confident that apple will soon offer an option that will make the cursor “normal” again. What apple thinks is “nice” or “useful” drives too many users crazy. Me for example. :joy:

I appreciate the camaraderie. FYI, I’ve been on with Apple Support for an hour and a half so far, have just been escalated Have confirmed that it’s an across the board issue with Apple Apps as well as DT3. They did show me how to change the cursor size, color, behavior in their Terminal App though :slight_smile: I’ll update if I get anything positive

I just finished up a two hour session with Apple support. Two conclusions: 1. Apple does not grant cursor property control to users, other than within their Terminal App. And 2. Cursor behavior within 3rd Party apps is controlled by the developer.

Apple took me through comparing the cursor behaviors of many apps - System, Apple and Devonthink. It was an effort to detect differences. And checking through the cursor behavior in Apple Messages, Notes, Pages as well as Gmail & DT3; I found the DT3 behavior in Rich Text and Text notes to be substantially different. My DT cursors are 2 to 3 times wider than those other apps as well as this editor for this post. I’m still looking for a solution, but now I’m focusing on the DT3 app, not the Apple Sonoma upgrade.

And TextEdit?

And I’m seeing no huge difference here…

In fact, I’d say it’s pretty subtle.

Well, just because some apps control the cursor doesn’t mean that all of them do. DEVONthink just uses the text engine of macOS like e.g. TextEdit but Pages doesn’t :flushed: Therefore the Terminal command should fix this in DEVONthink too.