Cutting / splitting images (png)

Hi, I just had the issue of swimlane images being exported to png files a much to small to read if imported as a png file in MS-Word (contract / agreement). Even with 250% magnification you can’t read it. Solution: put it in devonthink and open it with the devonthink (!) tool for viewing files, mark what you need to copy, copy it and paste it to the MS-Word file. Thank you devonthink team! You just saved me a lot of time.
Preview as provided by Apple does not give you the possibility to copy from these files selections.

1 Like

In Preview, select a rectangular area from the PNG image, copy, create a new document? WFM.

That’s the official version, but it did not worked in my actual case. I was able to do select an area but not able to copy only that area. I was only able to copy the complete png. The copy functionality for the selected area was in grey and could not be selected.

I see what you seem to be seeing if I use the context menu. However, if I do the usual Cmd-C thingy, only the selected area is copied. To be precise:

• Select a rectangular area, Cmd-C, Cmd-N
  • Result: A new document containing only the selected part of the PNG

Anything else would be really, really astonishing. PNGs can’t be protected against cropping. And Preview has been able to do that since ages.

1 Like