My sister is trying out trial versions of DA and DT Pro (and loves Pro as much as I do, btw.) But she is having a strange problem. Whenever she tries to capture a page from DA to save to DT Pro, it doesn’t happen. She gets an error sound and there’s no page in DT Pro. I can’t imagine what the problem might be, never having run into this myself. I couldn’t find any threads that dealt with this (doesn’t mean they aren’t there!).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She could really use the power of DA and DT Pro together!
I’m not sure this is a DT/DA problem. Are you using Tiger (I am)? I had the same thing happen to me about a week or so ago. Restarting the programs didn’t fix it but restarting the computer did. You might give it a try. I did a complete restart, not a logout/login.
Yes, I’m using Tiger. We had just installed it on her computer. I have the exact same set-up and everything works wonderfully. But I will mention this to her and see if it makes a difference. Many thanks.
Now that DT Personal is no longer in the Applications folder, another restart or two should clear up DEVONagent’s confusion. And the keyboard shortcuts for DT Pro Services should become functional, also.
If you still have problems, let us know. It may be time then to clean out some old cache files and preferences.
I’d help if I had anything to offer Christian. I’m thinking you might need to email the developers for support. The only other suggestions I might have are to run all the unix/OSX maintenance routines and/or reinstall DTPro (maybe also DA) while DTpe is zipped up and put away, installation to follow a restart after the zipping up of DTpe.
I have come to the conclusion, that this isn’t necessarily a problem of my system or installation.
I completely erased ALL Devon-related files of BOTH DevonAgent and DTPro from my system. The only files I kept are my database files. After that I reinstalled the whole thing. And still I can’t add anything from DA to DTPro. Nor can I add anything to DTPro via the service menu.
I too would suggest contacting the developers directly for support. This is really a ‘user’ forum, and perhaps fellow users have expended what they can help you with. I was the original poster in this thread, and my sister’s problem was solved with a restart. That and all the other suggestions aren’t working for you.
So, if it were me, I’d sure contact the company directly for support to find an answer. That sounds like the logical next step.
I am back and happy to report, that my problem has finally been solved. After some direct emailing with Mr. Grunenberg we finally found out, that there was nothing wrong with DA/DTPro in the first place. The problem was in my Netinfo database, which still included remnants of some ancient user, whose name was similar to my current OS X user name. This obviously caused the services-framework or -system to malfunction with DevonThink.
After deleting those entries in the Netinfo database everything worked fine.