Debugging sync problems

I am trying to figure out why syncing between my mac and iphone using icloud (cloudkit) is no longer working. (The same appleid is being used on the mac and the iphone).

The mac sync settings look like this:

Question: Nothing appears as a remote database in the list. Is this normal, if my databases were syncing correctly, would they appear under “remote”?

On my phone there are some remote databases, but they do not correspond to those on the mac:

Question: Would you expect to see the same “remote” database listings on the mac and on the phone?

Because the “remote” database listings on the mac and the phone appear differently, I question whether this is really working and so I am trying to verify this.

Nothing at all appears in Window > Log.

Question: Is it possible to increase log verbosity?

In Settings on the mac, DevonThink is shown as an application that is sharing documents and data using iCloud:

When I browse iCloud Drive I cannot see any files that look like they are from DevonThink.

Question: Where does DevonThink store its data on iCloud? If I could find these, then it might be possible to verify them when I compare them with the sync settings in DevonThink.

Because the “remote” databases reported separately by the mac and the iphone are different, it has the appearance of two separate syncing stores being used on each device. The same appleid is being used each device and the same icloud (CloudKit) location has been selected; as far as I understand how that should work, there can only be one icloud (cloudkit) syncing store shared between the devices.

Question: Apart from appleid, is there any other identifier that is used to separate user data in the icloud (cloudkit) store?

I have tried the usual things like, deleting the app from my phone and reinstalling, the outcome is the same.

Question: What debugging advice can you provide to help identify the root cause of this problem?

Question: Is there a way to remove (with verification) all DevonThink data from icloud?

Perhaps take the first step to review and take note of the chapter “Troubleshooting”, section “Sync Issues” starting on page 187 of the outstanding “DEVONthink Manual” and in Help.

Also search here for “icloud” and “cloudkit” for other people’s [unreliable] experience with Apple’s sync services.

1 Like

No.
As shown in the In & Out > Sync > Basics and How To section of the built-in Help and manual

When I browse iCloud Drive I cannot see any files that look like they are from DevonThink.

Question : Where does DevonThink store its data on iCloud? If I could find these, then it might be possible to verify them when I compare them with the sync settings in DevonThink.

That is correct. And as noted in the Q & A subsection of the same Help page…

Are both the Mac and mobile device logged into the same Apple ID?