Default Format Markdown + Batch convert specific file types to Markdown

Assuming Obsidian can read the markdown files coming from DT
(I have another post about them not displaying correctly in Obsidian Obsidian Markdown formatting - #4 by BLUEFROG), is there a way to have the default file format for annotations and other text files be markdown?

Additionally, is there a way to batch convert all or just specific existing documents to markdown? I know I can do them individually, but how would i find/convert all docs, or specific docs like txt or rtf to md? I’m assuming then I’ll have duplicate files and have to delete, correct?

1 Like

As for your first question: not that I know of.

As for your second question: Time to start experimenting for yourself a little bit, me thinks - that way you’d really get to know DT.

Why not use a smart rule like this one:

And note: I have a test database just for trying these things out. Note too, the difference between the Convert and the Convert and Continue actions in a smart rule; the former leaves all following actions working on the original file - the latter makes the following actions act on the new file.

1 Like

great info, thanks! i’ll start playing around… would you happen to know anything about why my DT converted to MD files dont display properly in obsidian? are there different kinds of markdown or a setting in one or the other app that must be configured?

Yes. Tons. I guess Google knows all about it.

I googled, but I dont know the relationship between DT markdown and Obsidian and why they dont work properly.

I’m sure that the MD dialect understood by DT is mentioned in the documentation. As to obsidian, that should be explained at their website.
If something does not work as expected, it is advised to

• explain what one did
  • explain the expected output
  • explain what happened instead

With as much context as possible and needed.
Eg (something) in a MD file is probably considered to be part of a link:
[text](https://...) so it could well be that obsidian escaped the parenthesis because you didn’t.

DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go use MultiMarkdown v6.

ok, thanks so much… I have a post on the Obsidian site seeing what they say on that end. I really want to be able to convert annotations to markdown and use them there. if not I guess I can copy/paste in obsidian, but would be better if I could just convert and move to the indexed folder. not sure why parenthesis give it trouble.

1 Like

You can create a custom Annotation file and put it in the ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Annotations.noindex directory.

Did you find a solution for the markdown problem? Or perhaps you can link to your post on the obsidian forum?

Also: bey default, the annotation files in DT are stored in the database, right? So how do you make them accessible from Obsidian?

I am also trying to make Obsidian (flexible, portable) and DevonThinkPro (more organized, bulky) work together. I will test markdown from Obsidian and DevonThink back and forth.
First impression : it works OK from DTP to Obsidian, with basic formating (bold, titles…).

What I immediatly notice, is that the layout of MD files on DTP is not WYSIWYG as it is in Obsidian. Is there a way to get the same WYSIWYG visual/editing feature in DTP ?

You probably mean “instant formatting”, as MD is never Wysiwyg by itself – it all depends on the CSS.
So, no, there’s no instant formatting in DT. You can turn on side-by-side view, but the preview is not necessarily updated in real time.

2 Likes

Documents > Markdown Documents: Editing

PS: This has been discussed many times. DEVONthink is not a bespoke Markdown editor. It has really good functionality – using MultiMarkdown – but if you want specific, proprietary behaviors from other Markdown editors, we suggest you use those editors.

1 Like

You’re right. Obsidian has instant formatting not WYSIWYG.