Deinstalling this incompatible extension

In the log I get …
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin Deinstalling this incompatible extension is highly recommended.

How do I do this?

1 Like

Just delete it in the Finder.

Hi, I’m getting the same message but the plug-in doesn’t appear in the Internet Plug-Ins folder.

Welcome @awcb

Here are instructions to remove the browser plugins…

1. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins.
    If present, remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin or AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (notice the tilde (~) has been removed).
    If present, remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin or *AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
2 Likes

Thanks for the speedy reply. And yes, I found it by removing the tilde.
Both plugins you mentioned are there. Should I remove both of them?

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:
Yes, removing both is suggested.

1 Like

I have not been able to find a reason for deinstalling the plugin. Will I lose the ability to view pdf files if the plugin is deinstalled? I have many pdf files which I’ve scanned for OCR. Losing this facility would be a major loss for me.

Thanks!

Why do you need an Adobe viewer to view PDF files? Preview does that quite reliably, also with OCR’ed files

1 Like

I’m somewhat of a newbie on Devonthink. I was not aware of that. Then I have no further concern. Thanks.

Welcome @NRS108

The Acrobat Browser plugins are known to cause crashes in some applications. Also we would not issue instructions that would cause problems with the normal operation of another application. The browser plugins are not necessary.

1 Like

Understood. Thank you. With your assurances, I will go ahead and remove the browser plugins.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

The browser plugin is also installed as part of Adobe Acrobat DC.

Are you sure it is even used if you didn’t make Acrobat the default PDF viewer? I just tested this on my fresh Big Sur install with Adobe Acrobat DC. I did not make Acrobat DC the default PDF viewer, PDFs are opened with Preview from the Finder as well as from Safari. DEVONthink gives me the warning for AdobePDFViewer.plugin that “Deinstalling this incompatible extension is highly recommended”, but I’m not sure if there is any harm leaving it there.

We would not issue the warning without cause, so yes we suggest removing the browser plugin.

Hi there, I get the same message when starting DT3.

When I follow the steps mentioned above, neither AdobePDFViewer.plugin or AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin are present.

I have in that folder only CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin.plugin.

When I restart DT3 the same message keeps coming up. Please could you advise me on how to deinstall the plugin.

Many thanks

You can reveal the extension via the contextual menu of the Log window.

Thanks, I was able to reveal in finder. Turns out I didn’t follow Jim’s second step. Problem solved!

1 Like