Deleting replicants in indexed folders

Interesting behaviour, which may well be documented, but which I haven’t understand until now, and a warning about deleting replicants within indexed folders, if you want DT to exactly mirror Finder:

1. If I have two folders in Finder, Folder A containing file A, and Folder B containing file B, and I index both folders into DT
  2. and if I then replicate file A from DT group Folder A into the DT group Folder B
  3. and then delete the replicant file A from group Folder A,
  4. I end up with an empty group Folder A and with the group Folder B now containing both file A and file B.
  5. Yet, the structure in Finder is unchanged, Update Indexed Items (and deleting Trash) having no effect, so the indexed item structure in DT no longer mirrors that of Finder.
  6. However, Reveal in Finder still works for an item such as file A “moved” in this way to DT group Folder B - it reveals file A within its original location of Folder A in Finder.

Yes, that is expected and logical as replicating indexed files does not generate any new files in the Finder.

That’s right, but what I found interesting was step 6. DT hasn’t lost track of the original location in Finder of the ‘moved’ file in DT. So, in principle it can tell that the item called file A is now in a different Group from the one originally indexed. So, again in principle the Updated Indexed Items action could move file A into folder B in Finder so that the Group structure once again mirrors the Finder structure. If that is not possible, how is it different to simply moving an item from one Group to another within DT, in which case Update Indexed Items does then carry out the corresponding move in Finder to keep them mirrored?