Devon Think sync questions

I’m thinking of getting DevonThink and DevonThink to go.

I don’t plan on using DT for document creation, but only to copy back to the Mac documents created on the iPad.

I have some questions:

• If a document is created/edited on the iPad, and stored in DT to go, will the exact same document (with exact same metadata) be copied to the Finder automatically if documents are set to be indexed on the Mac?

• Can other iOS apps (such as iA Writer) edit text documents stored in DevonThink on iPad (edit in place)?

• Will the Mac Appstore DT Personal be sufficient for this syncing to the Finder?

• If a document is created/edited on the iPad, and stored in DT to go, will the exact same document (with exact same metadata) be copied to the Finder automatically if documents are set to be indexed on the Mac?

Yes, but not automatically. Items added to a DEVONthink database are internal. You’ll have to right-click the indexed group in DEVONthink and choose Move to External Folder to move the file to the Finder.

• Can other iOS apps (such as iA Writer) edit text documents stored in DevonThink on iPad (edit in place)?

Only apps supporting the iOS Document Provider can access items in DEVONthink To Go. It also requires purchase of the Pro Pack (see DTTG’s Settings > Manage).

• Will the Mac Appstore DT Personal be sufficient for this syncing to the Finder?

Personal allows indexing files, but realize Personal will only sync one database. This database has to be synced and imported to DTTG. It will not sync with To Go’s Global Inbox.

Thanks.

Would there be a way to automate the copying of documents from DevonThink to the Finder? I’m basically looking for a way to create documents on my iPad, store them in DTTG, and have them be copied to the Mac’s Finder for further backups. If I have to manually copy each one, that would be inefficient.

Not built-in, no. There are triggered scripts that could be added to an indexed group but that still requires some manual intervention by selecting the item with the triggered script attached.

I used iA Writer to edit text files stored in DTTG, I don’t have the pro pack either.

Welcome @Steve_N

This should not be possible. Are you saying it shows an active Purchase button in DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Manage?

Yep I haven’t unlocked the pro features. I open iA Writer>select ‘open from other app’>locate DTTG and open a test.txt file I have that I created in DTTG, that can also edited in iA

I do have iCloud sync setup if that makes a difference.