DEVONagent for genealogical research - a newbie question

Hello
I do intensive research in genealogical research/DNA for me and for helping others (adoptees,…).

For 3 years, I am a big fan of DEVONThink pro Office for classifying information and to get to cross matching information.

However, I never was able to get DEVONagent to give my tangible results when searching for remote ancestors - ex: in Russia ou Hungaria. I always have the sense that even if I limit searches with NEAR/2 ou BEFORE/2 or using brackets to sear for a “surname + name”. I always get unrelevant results.

Does anyone has success with DEVONagent for this use ? - or any comments.

I also have problems to add “Sites” to my search group if I must login - the same parameters (ex: passwords) apply to all Sites I enter

Milena

Note that DEVONagent doesn’t guarantee “all relevant results”. It depends on what plugin you’re using (ex. Web (Deep) or Bing or…), the sites you’re searching in a search set (and if they’re accessible), the terms you use, etc.

What plugin or sites are you using?

milena76 I have sent you a private message.

Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply.

1- Plugins
Well I must admit I am not familiar with the coverage of these plugins…
I tried a few - but I am like a blind person in this world.

Should I search them individually on the web - or do you have a resource to suggest to make a better choice for more concise results ?

2- Sites in Search Sets
In fact, I am mostly interested in genealogical websites (Ancestry.com, MyHeritage.com, 23&me) so I created my own Search Sets with entering these websites.
However it is as if I cannot enter a user name and password for each individual website. The parameters I enter for one applies to all of them.
Am I doing something wrong ? see screens shots.

Milena

Hi milena76,

I am trying to set up the same sites for genealogical research as you have shown. Did you ever come up with a solution?

This may be a bit off, but it is working for me for Ancestry.com

You’ll need to create a Plugin for Ancestry. Once you’ve filled in the basic information, find it in the Plugin list and choose Edit.

Then, after the Info key and its associated string, insert the block in this PDF:
AncestryLoginPlugin.pdf (15.8 KB)

Once you’ve saved it, the User/Password fields will be open for you to insert your information.

Because the OP’s location is Canada, the login URL may be different. Just sign out, go to the Sign In page, and copy the URL that shows up.

2 Likes