DEVONsphere is indexing only some files and no Apple mails

Hi,

Non-MAS DEVONsphere Express is indexing only about half of my pdfs and documents, and no emails.

I have enabled DEVONsphere Express app in Accessibility Preferences, updated DEVONsphere index several times and restarted my Macbook.

Search locations are the standard: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Dropbox, Google Drive, Movies, Music and Pictures. Two folders within Documents are excluded.

Searches of emails are working both in Spotlight and within Apple Mail. I have resetted Keychain and deleted and recreated my mail account to no avail. OS is up-to-date Sierra.

It seems that all files I select for See Also in DEVONsphere show the File not indexed warning, even in the one-level deep Downloads folder. Please advise how to correct this problem.

I’m confused. What you’re showing here isn’t a search. It’s a See Also.

Sorry if it wasn’t clear.

See also is the feature I’m interested in for files, and the one that doesn’t seem to work.
Search works, but apparently only around half my files of each category have been indexed.

As for emails, none are indexed; therefore, neither Search nor See also work.

Lately I have deleted and recreated both Spotlight and DevonSphere indexes. Spotlight had and has no problem. DevonSphere continues in the described state.

That’s an issue on El Capitan/Sierra, the next release will fix this.

Hi Jim

I’ve resurrected Devonsphere Express (1.9.4) which is operating under OSX 10.15.4. Whilst Spotlight searches through my email and returns the correct results, Devonsphere doesn’t.

I’ve checked the Messages & Chats under Preferences > Categories. Is there soemthing else I have to do to get Devonsphere to work searching through emails?

Have you given DEVONsphere Full Disk Access in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy?

Yes I have (now) - and performed an “Update Index”, and it works! Thank you, Jim.

I think it might be a good idea to provide an “allow Devonsphere full disc access?” type prompt in the next release, so as dumb folks like me don’t have to bother you guys.

All resolved - thanks for taking the time to reply. Hope this also helps others’ in the same boat.

Bob

1 Like

You’re welcome and the suggestion is noted. Cheers!

Just a further note following an upgrade to Big Sur a while ago. I raised a support ticket that I think the community may benefit from:

DSE 1.9.5

• Running MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2
  • Full Disk Access enabled
  • Categories show 11362 items against Messages & Chats
  • Searching for any Mac Mail message fails with no results returned
  • Console messages reveal the following:

Feb 28 09:14:14 iMac DEVONsphere Express[2556]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver: #2: No such file or directory
Feb 28 09:14:14 iMac DEVONsphere Express[2556]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVAME.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVAME: #2: No such file or directory
Feb 28 09:14:19 iMac com.devon-technologies.get[6948]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory etc etc

Jim responds:

This is an issue with Big Sur as Apple has not provided a Spotlight importer for .emlx files. We have filed an issue on this but haven’t had any response.

Thanks for the prompt response, Jim. If you can advise when Apple supply their fix and it’s been tested, that would be much appreciated.

You’re welcome.

We have no control over whether Apple will address this but it will surely be in our release notes if it gets resolved.