"devonspherebot" CPU use high and often

After reading the little I could find, and monitoring the process, I get that “devonspherebot” kicks off to reindex whenever the file system signifies a change, but the process seems to use nearly all of a full core (90+%), and seems to run frequently (maybe every 5 mins or so).

Is part of the “issue” here the amount and type of things I have DEVONsphere monitoring?

I am new to this product, but I think I have it watching anything and everything. What makes the most sense to have it monitor to limit my scope but still provide the most benefit.

The frequency of the update can be changed in Preferences > General. How many items (see Preferences > Categories) does the index contain?

1 Like

but I think I have it watching anything and everything.

What have you added to Preferences > Locations?

I believe I have some things (system-like things) that are constantly writing to my “OneDrive - Personal” directory… so the files are constantly changing. I suppose I could exclude that/those directories to avoid some of the churn?

That’s one option. Or change the update interval in the preferences e.g. to hourly.

Good point. I will do that.

I excluded the one directory I know of with constant changes, and it just ran again and ended fairly quickly. The number of items it is indexing (this last time anyway) is over 324K… not sure if that number is crazy big or average.

Hi @BLUEFROG :slight_smile:
I know this thread is slightly old but can you direct me to how to locate preference locations in DT 3.8.3? I cant find the setting.

I think Im having CPU/battery issues with DT as when I leave it open but close the lid - eg overnight - it seems to lose a lot of power (50% of 100% charge). When DT isnt left open this doesnt happen. Any other tips?

This thread is related to DEVONsphere Express, not DEVONthink and therefore there are no such preferences in DEVONthink.

Do you use any scheduled smart rules or reminders? Or do your databases contain RSS feeds which are automatically refreshed? And finally, changing the sync interval from Automatic to e.g. every 5 or 15 minutes might reduce the battery usage too (although the sync shouldn’t be an issue if no changes have to be up/dowloaded).

Thanks for quick response. OK re versions/software variation. I had thought it may be a similar set up so thanks for clarification.
I dont run smart rules (havent learned that yet) and dont run any RSS content in DT.

Regarding sync, I dont use DT sync at all. I run DT on my laptop, thats it. I back up data periodically with superduper. I run only 2 databases and have what is probably only a small amount of items in each (< 5000). Ive just cleared cache and also emptied trash. Weirdly I found things in trash that shouldnt be in trash so restored those. Im wondering if this is a problem with indexing or something else.

In that case the only remaining idea coming to my mind would be one or more web sites opened in DEVONthink. Otherwise (no rules, no reminders, no feeds, no sync) DEVONthink should be pretty idle.

1 Like

Just replying in case of help to other (new) users. I cleared all my caches and restarted. I think some process must’ve been ‘stuck’ as now everything seems good. Activity Monitor isnt showing large energy or CPU use, though memory is 1.7gb (not sure if thats normal). Sometimes I get beachballing if I have a lot of tabs open or pdfs open in preview but thats maybe overreach for the 8gb ram, no idea just guessing.

1 Like

8 GB RAM isn’t much these days, especially when using multiple apps. Especially multiple web pages, large databases or large PDF documents might require a lot of RAM.

Well, it’s odd, imo. 8gb is sufficient for my video editing (iMovie, with reasonably chunky clips), for example. I don’t have any live updating websites tabbed (or saved!) - I do have lots of static content, PDF, static captures of webpages, occasional rich text, plus images. Maybe its the caching/memory for indexing that causes DT to start using a lot of energy now and again. Ive yet to fully understand how and when indexing happens and if its a good idea to manually index or just leave it to DT as and when.