DEVONthink 2.0 update?

It was, but unfortunately factors out of our control made us postpone it more and more. It consumed most of our development resources in the last year but we have now 99% stalled its introduction to concentrate on the development DEVONthink 2.0. That is why we don’t talk about it at the moment but we will as soon as DEVONthink 2.0 takes shape.

The new product will be completely different from what we have today but will be based on the same technology. Many improvements to our technology developed for this new product have even been delivered already with recent updates to DEVONthink. So even though its development used up most resources in the last 18 months DEVONthink and DEVONagent also benefitted immensely from it, especially the core of DEVONthink 2.0.

Although there’s nothing like it available yet for Mac OS X, the mystery product will be basically targeted at companies & organizations. Therefore this shouldn’t have any impact for most people.

Thanks Eric and Christian also for your replies! Just this bit of info goes a long way (and is of tangible value).

I now know the new app release is not immanent. Therefore I can ‘guess’ to at least some of the functionality, and now will go ahead and implement some interim tools.

Don’t limit your perspective of your user base! You should know by now there is a diverse group of users. The thing about DT is with a little creativity the varied uses for it are extraordinary. I am specifically developing workflows and implementation of DEVONtechnologies tools for small companies and organizations in several disciplines. I anticipate that once you release it, you are surprised by the demand.

Thanks again for your responses.

Multi-user network support in DT 2.0?

No details can be released. But it’s not a replacement for DEVONagent or DEVONthink, and most individuals wouldn’t need it. :slight_smile:

[this post is just to enable reply notifications for the thread since I couldn’t find another way to do it]

Okay. I’m REALLY hoping DEVONthink Office server is on the way, I’m a civil trial lawyer and am desperate for a multi-user document management database solution. I love DEVONthink. We’re making do right now with some work-arounds, but it ain’t pretty.

There are hundreds of “Mac Lawyers” nationally (US) who could use such an application. I’m active in some Mac lawyer groups, and I regularly attend the annual “Macs in Trial” tech seminar. I’d love to hawk your wares.

Here’s hoping that you remember that modern computer screens are wider than they are long. I like the drawers for Classify and See Also popping out on the side.

I just got a hold of the beta for Delicious Library 2 and they moved “Item Details” to the bottom of the screen from the side (as in DL1). Yuck.

I have to say that the fact that you now admit that you put most of your development resources for a year into this new product that is not for individuals while not delivering on a promised 2.0 update - while assuring us you were working on 2.0 as you blamed Leopard, etc. for the many many months of delay - is simply unjustifiable. I have stuck with you guys while waiting for 2.0 because I trusted you - I thought you were being straight with us here. You were not. I am not sure what this means for my future with your product.

They were working on it.

this from ‘the balcony’ - the president’s blog:

i love this ‘few’ - reminds me of the headmaster addressing the school assembly: 'a handful of malcontents, yes, you know who you are … '. and then we have ‘already’ waiting for 2.0. is this meant to be ironic? ‘already’?? after how many months and years?

If you haven’t had a chance, check out the Blog where Christian recently posted a message about 2.0 I believe.

Not Christian but Eric - I don’t blog :slight_smile:

jrp: my quote was from the blog

@Kened, Right you are. But what can you expect from a poster who can’t tell Christian and Eric apart? :slight_smile:

Very exciting to hear that a beta of 2.0 is on the way.

I was almost a Linux convert recently and the potential for DT 2.0 is one of the apps that lead me to stay with the Mac platform.

You guys code in your sleep, yes?

:wink:

Is DevonTHINK 2.0 slated to run on 10.4.11 and Leopard, or only Leopard?

I ask as one of the few who does not upgrade old computers to newer OS’s as, well, they just don’t work as well.

We’ll focus on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, yes. So, most likely, you can expect it to run on Leopard only.

That’s good to hear… but (sorry for trolling) I was really waiting it to be launched in Q2 as said before.

Is it possible to be part of the beta phase?

Thanks to all.

Me too! Are we looking at a summer release guys?