DEVONthink 3.8.1. Well Done! Thanks

I notice quite a few improved/new items that I’ve seen mentioned/discussed here. Noticed. Thanks.

13 Likes

Came here to say that I am loving this new feature:

With a window open on a group listing, it makes f searches very intuitive.

5 Likes

Ditto. I’ve longed for this.

1 Like

I agree: it was the first thing I enabled when I read the changes.

Stephen

1 Like

It would be wonderful if someone could post a visual guide of the main new things that 3.8.1 can do.

1 Like

Nope, turns out my skills in that area are pretty useless. But you’ll find the change log on pages 248-256 of the current DEVONthink 3.8.1 Documentation - and yes, that’s 9 pages worth of changes in a maintenance release.

6 Likes

Not directly a guide and of course very subjective:

2 Likes

Ok. Let me reframe my question. Can people share examples of how the new improvements in DT3 improved their workflows?

1 Like

Thanks @pete31. Very useful!

1 Like

@pete31 Is this something available in the official documentation, or did you produce this yourself?

1 Like

That looks like it was done in Tinderbox. It’s definitely not something we created.

@BLUEFROG is right, this is a Tinderbox. I copied the version history (aka release notes) from DEVONthink’s help, removed the attachments in Nisus Writer, pasted into a Tinderbox note, exploded (i.e. split) the note into discrete notes, created some user attributes (= custom metadata), read each note and assigned a value for those that looked interesting and finally created an agent (= smart group) to collect only those notes I want to test/use. A bit work but definitely worth it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I’m really curious about why anyone would go to this much effort. Are you writing a book about DEVONthink by any chance? Or doing user support? Or something?

(Errrr, you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, obviously. I’m just curious, but if it’s private, that’s okay too.)

1 Like

Just curious what the people at DEVONtech added. They constantly make a brilliant software better and I don’t want to miss any new possibilities.

(And creating a Tinderbox isn’t that much work, reading the notes takes most of the time as there’s always so much new in each version)

3 Likes

Different people and their minds work in very different fashions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations on the amazing release!
Really loving all the new features. In addition to the search one, the appearance/dock features are really helpful!

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice feedback, especially in regards to the dock badge. I wasn’t sure if that would get much notice :smiley:

I am loving it :slight_smile:
Now DT3 is really looking at me saying: get down to work ASAP (many unread items in the “antilibrary”):

Excuse my excitement, but let us be open, for people using indexing a lot (like myself), this one is big (and it is only considered “improvement”):

I think this single feature, will address so many questions and potential challenges users had in the past.

Thank again for being so attentive and diligent in implementing all these.

Amazing!

2 Likes

Well, we’re never resting on our laurels :slight_smile:
Nw get back to work!! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes