Devonthink 3 and Devonthink 2

I thought when I installed devonthink 3 it would replace devonthink 2 and all of my old items would end up there.Clearly, that’s not the case so is there an easy way to move my items from devonthink 2 to devonthink 3 nd then delete devonthink 2. Is there any reason not to delete devonthink 2?

Hi :slight_smile: there is no need to migrate to your data, simply open your databases with DEVONthink 3. The data format has not changed. I assume however that it has been expanded; I think I remember DEVONtech recommend not using a database with both versions 2 and 3.

There is no reason not to delete version 2 that I know of.

There is probably 10x the info in Devonthink 2 and when I open Devonthink 3 it doesn’t see that data.

So am I stuck with moving items 1 at a time?

No. The inbox is not transferred automatically; are your files (the 10x the info…) in (other) databases or in the inbox?

I could imagine @BLUEFROG may weigh in on this thread during the day.

Actually, DEVONthink 3 will migrate the Inbox from DEVONthink 2. However, as you noted, it won’t open the other databases automatically. That’s for the user to do.

Regarding deleting version 2, you should not keep version 2 once you’ve migrated to 3. At a minimum you should delete the version 2 application from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Which edition of DEVONthink 2 did you use?

My bad :see_no_evil: