DEVONthink 3: Annotation Template Missing

I noticed DT3 brings native support for annotations. It’s awesome we don’t have to use “URL” attribute to refer to the annotations as a workaround :slight_smile:

I didn’t get the “New From Template” option tough. The help page says:

Data Menu: Choose Data > New from Template > Annotation to create an annotation file. This file will reside in the same group as the original file.
New from Template: Click the down arrow and choose New from Template . This will create an annotation file, using the same template as the one from the Data menu, but the file will reside in an Annotations group at the root of the database.

But I cannot find any “Annotations” in the template folder:

So I wonder how can I customize this “Annotation Template”

It’s a glitch of the help, this template doen’t exist anymore (the Annotations & Reminders inspector uses its own version which is more suitable for such small views)

Will there be any way to customize it in the future? For instance, can I use Markdown format instead of RTF?

There are currently no such plans but you could either cross-link Markdown docs on your own or create your own Markdown template for this case.

For custom annotation/note template, I understand that I can put a custom rtf template or modify the current template for those files under library/application support/devonthink 3/templates.noindex and I will see the custom template when I click on menu->Data->New from Template. But what if I would like to access my custom template from the icon “New”? Is there a path where I can place the template?

Thanks

No. But you could use the Actions toolbar item or the contextual menu instead. Or add a template to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Templates.noindex/Toolbar and customize the toolbar afterwards.

Yes!
All I have to do is to copy the annotation file (*.templatescriptd) from the toolbar folder of 2.0 to 3.0, then add the script icon to the icon bar of the main window to get the job done. The method is highly consistent with 2.0 - which is another great news.

Thanks.

The problem with the self-made annotation template is that it will overwrite the original URL field. It would be nice if an AppleScript interface is provided to take a “real” annotation like that in DT3 which will not take up the URL field.

Also speaking to AppleScript, it seems that there is no way to get the annotation of a record using AppleScript.

it will overwrite the original URL field.

The original URL is recorded in the Spotlight Comments.