DEVONthink 3 – The Sorter

really ? doesn’t make any sense what are you saying …

Perhaps not to you, but it does to him (and certainly many others like the new approach).

1 Like

I don’t think so if you count its more people that hate the new approach , downgrading right now…

I’m not sure if you’re just counting people on this post, but relatively few our of clients actually use the forums.

Then how do you know that “many others like the new approach” ?

The forums are only one channel of communication we have with our clientele, and it’s not the primary one.

2 Likes

Of course. I was forgetting the daily bags of snail mail praising the new sorter that you have to deal with each morning.

1 Like

Do you think that polemics are helpful? Just wondering.

2 Likes

I don’t like the new Sorter arrangement, but I like your attitude even less, especially the arrogant and unsupported claim that you have more and better info on what DT users want than the team that built and support it.

3 Likes

My 'attitude, or remark, had no such opinionated content and made no such claim. I was merely enquiring in a jocular manner as to the origin of this supposed support. It still eludes me. The implication was that, in some unspecified realm of communication, there are many more people affirming their support of the new sorter than there are those dismayed by it. The comments here seem to on the whole to suppose otherwise, but not knowing this other forum of opinion, no-one can judge.

1 Like

People who like a feature rarely take the time to go to a forum to comment on it.

4 Likes

This is one of those “truism” that would also include the opposite, so it’s pretty much a wash (people who don’t like x are just as likely not to say anything as those who like x.)

As to the new sorter policy/arrangement/feature—there are various threads where some of us have expressed discontent with this, as in the threads entitled, “Will Sorter always need to Launch” and “Devonthink 3-the Sorter.”

The main response: ”The new integrated Sorter provides greater integration with DT3 and allows greater scope for future feature enhancements.”

This is fine, BUT the discontent seems to be over this, “The Sorter is not a standalone application any longer. In order to see and use it, DEVONthink 3 must be running.”

Yikes! I did not mean to bold that first sentence (sorry)

Just needed a line break between the paragaph and the horizontal rule :slight_smile:

1 Like

In a technical sense, yes the opposite is also true, however @dansroka’s comment is far more common. People who are vocal are more likely to complain publicly. People who are happy about something more often than not will keep it to themselves.

et al:
It’s easier to complain than to praise.
Praise - not only in here (speaking generally of online fora, social media, etc.), but in life in general - is in very short supply compared to complaints . Think about your day or your week. How many things have you complained about versus openly praised, especially directly to someone?

RE: the Sorter specifically…

”The new integrated Sorter provides greater integration with DT3 and allows greater scope for future feature enhancements.

“The Sorter is not a standalone application any longer. In order to see and use it, DEVONthink 3 must be running.”

IMHO, the benefits, including the potential for future enhancements, outweighs the simple requirement that DEVONthink be running.

2 Likes

Not a truism for me — my comment comes from my experiences working in the software/internet industries. Complaints (about bugs, disagreements over features, etc.) were always easy to come by. But we’d rarely hear the positive side unless we went and actively sought it out (via user testing, surveys, site visits).

Indeed. Which begs the question of where these votes of confidence are coming from.

Polemics? It wasn’t “a strong attack”. It was an authentic query couched in a bit of a joke, because I was ‘just wondering’ how all the members of this ‘clientele’ are communicating how they love the new sorter, without doing it here (like the ones who don’t like it comment here). They must be doing it somehow.

It was in fact hardly as ‘polemical’ as Korm’s “maybe folks like to complain just because they can” (though I admit, he did retract that).

I was ‘just wondering’ how all the members of this ‘clientele’ are communicating how they love the new sorter, without doing it here (like the ones who don’t like it comment here). They must be doing it somehow.

As I said, we have more than one channel of communication with our clients, including our support ticket system, as well as others.

1 Like

Yes please - bring it back asap