'DEVONthink-5.dtMeta' - very large file, possibly unneeded?

Hi all -

I just noticed that my computer has a very large file called “DEVONthink-5.dtMeta”. It was last accessed about a month ago.

I revealed it in the Finder, and it turns out that it’s inside one of my DT databases. Moreover, there appear to be THREE identically named such files in the same database, each of which is huge. All of the files are inside folders named ‘Backup’ of one sort of another. Most of the other files in those folders are much smaller, but altogether it’s a lot of space.

This 2014 post suggests that these “DEVONthink-5.dtMeta” files might just be “orphans.” But that post is from so long ago that I know I should check again for the latest. Can I just delete these “____.dtMeta” files? They’re eating a ton of space. Any thoughts most appreciated!

[EDITED: to reflect that I’ve now found three such files.]

No you should not delete those files. Also, you should not be messing about in the internals of a database.

3 Likes

Everything that separates your databases from an mere pile of files, grouped by filetype is contained in dtMeta files. Groups, folders, keywords, tags–essentially everything that devonthink does to make your life easier.

1 Like

So, that makes sense. That said, I still hesitate. The question is specifically in reference to the fact that these are in folders marked “Backup”, and haven’t been accessed since >1 month ago. In other words, they are evidently not doing the work of groups, folders, etc in anything active. Also, I’d never noticed anything like them before, and I regularly go to my storage management window–such that these are new and anomalous in the last couple of months. That’s the thing I’m trying to figure out…

OK–I won’t, I promise! : )

I am still left puzzled by a couple of things

1. These files are clearly a new phenomenon in the last couple of months. I regularly check the Storage settings on my Macs, and I’ve never seen these among the large files before
  2. These files aren’t being used or accessed – their most recent modification dates are more than a month ago

Is there anywhere I can read more on why three ~identically-sized files in folders labeled “backup” would be newly appearing? I just don’t understand it, and the file sizes are big enough that I kind of have an incentive to try to understand it : )

1. These files are clearly a new phenomenon in the last couple of months. I regularly check the Storage settings on my Macs, and I’ve never seen these among the large files before

Actually, they’re not anything new. DEVONthink 3 has been using this mechanism for over 3 years now.

2. These files aren’t being used or accessed – their most recent modification dates are more than a month ago

These are not files to be messed with or monitored. They are the internal metadata backups used for rolling back the metadata of a database in troubleshooting situations.

DEVONthink weekly creates an internal backup. Two backups are kept and the oldest purged when a new set is created.

Is this a database you don’t frequently use?

3 Likes

LOL sorry i didn’t mean to be telling you they were in fact new. DEFINITELY not second guessing The Bluefrog : ) I just meant this is definitely something new showing up in my ‘large files’ list in the Storage Settings. Maybe a recent Mac update disaggregates different parts of the database in a way that it didn’t use to if some of them are technically ‘folders’?? I have litearlly no idea. Just mean it showing up in my settings is a new phenomenon.

I won’t touch 'em. This further context is very helpful–not least to know that I’m not foolishly carrying around more memory weight than I need to. Thx as always Jim

ps yes a frequently used database—but not updated too often in the last several months (though accessed lots)

ps This board is just the best. Every time I’ve ever had some weird issue people have been here to talk it through, and quickly too. Thanks to all.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

I thought about it this morning… those backup folders are like having a spare tire in the trunk of your auto (well, two spare tires :smiley: ). You may not need them every day, but if you do… :flushed::upside_down_face:

1 Like

lol indeed indeed indeed : )