DEVONthink databases and Google Drive

I’m a bit confused. In one of the use cases of DT in education (https://parezcoydigo.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/using-devonthink-for-course-management/), the blogger talks about storing his DT database in the cloud (specifically with Dropbox). I have very little space in Dropbox but I have access to ample space in Google Drive instead. When I tried to move my database to a folder in Google Drive, I get this error message:

“Databases can’t be located in cloud folders DEVONthink can automatically relocate
the database “DBT.dtBase2” to a safe location in your Home directory or
show it in the Finder to move it on your own.”

I don’t understand. Can you keep your databases in the cloud or can’t you? My use for DT decreases considerably if I can’t access my databases from more than one computer. Can anybody help me with this? I’ve done a search for recent postings with “Google Drive” as a search term but I haven’t found anything that I could see as relevant. It seems people have their DT databases stored in the cloud so I don’t understand why I would be getting this message.

Thanks in advance.

No you cannot. Fully documented in the outstanding “DEVONthink Manual”. synced cloud locations are for synching DEVONthink databases. See the manual for those services that can be used. Google Drive not on the list as their technology not appropriate. Apple’s service work for some people but unreliable for other. Probably best to avoid.

2 Likes

Apart from what @rmschne said: This blog post is fourteen (14!) years old. I’d discourage drawing information from outdated sources referring to a product that’s no longer available (DT 2 in this case).

And even this author is vague about their use of Dropbox (“the cloud”): in 2009, they said that they used DT “in conjunction” with Dropbox (amazing, how deliberately imprecise an academic can be). That could have meant “syncing with Dropbox”, “storing the database in Dropbox” or “indexing Dropbox content”.

Then, in 2011, they explained that they moved away from importing and are now only indexing their Dropbox content in DT. Which is perfectly in sync (pardon the pun) with today’s recommendations: Do not store your databases in “the Cloud”. Indexing cloud contents should be ok, though.

3 Likes

OK. In my defense :slight_smile: I will say that this blog post is linked in the DevonThink official site. That’s how I got to it.

https://www.devontechnologies.com/users/educators

I will read the outstanding “DEVONthink Manual" to educate myself, though. Thanks!

1 Like

My use for DT decreases considerably if I can’t access my databases from more than one computer. Can anybody help me with this?

Each device has its own copy of the databases you sync.
Please check out this blog post to understand why:

Thank you, Bluefrog.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: