devonthink forums as a database?

First, let me say how much I’ve enjoyed my first month of using devonthink. I see how busy everyone is putting out fires related to the beta DT2, but I have a request that I think might be very helpful to those of us who are trying to learn how to harness the power of the program. There is a great deal of information in this forum, but it is practically inaccessible because of the crappy search mechanisms. I have been reading current posts as rss feeds in DT 2, and I love it. What would be incredible is to be able to use the power of DT’s search and AI to access the information that is archived in this forum. Would it be possible to create a downloadable database of the entire backlog of User Forum discussions? This would be so helpful to those of use trying to learn the program, and it might even cut down on the repetition of questions that the moderators have been forced to answer :smiley: (Yes, the Global Sorter is not currently functioning!!!) Just an idea, but I think it’s a good one.

Keep up the good work.

Matt

The idea has merit, even if the database is only updated on a less frequent than real time though regular basis. I could see it as a first FAQ-type quick-stop for new users. If the quick search didn’t yield a result the user could go to forums; meanwhile, the dtbase would serve to illustrate DT features and usability.

This is a great idea. What better way to demonstrate the power of the application than to use it to search this forum as a database.

Perhaps the posts are too dynamic for such purposes, but the idea is worth considering.

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually, we have something in mind that fits here nicely and nicely demonstrate the possibilities of our technology — but not before summer, I am afraid. DEVONthink 2.0 final has the priority now :slight_smile:

Eric, thanks for your personal reply and for the encouraging news.

When I read that request I thought that it was a great idea and one that would be a “live” database, one that would be updated as new posts were created.

I totally understand the priority of DT2. So you’re aiming for a summer GA release? Sounds great.