DEVONthink freezes upon opening huge photo library database

Hello! I have a database of >100 GB where I am only storing photos. Each time I try to open the actual database, DEVONthink freezes. I have tried opening the database from within DEVONthink, as well as double-clicking the actual database, which I have stored on an external hard drive. Any suggestions?

How long did you wait before killing the app? Due the size and maybe also due to automatic backups this might require some time.

A hypothesis:
If this is not an SSD, then the freeze may also be caused by slow read speeds on the drive itself. 100GB is not that much data to comb through on an SSD but it sure is if the read speed is 100 MB / second…

I guess I could let it run a little longer, I have been letting it run for up to 10-15 minutes.

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select DEVONthink 3 in the list of processes while it’s opening the database, choose the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!