DevonThink link followed from Finder Get Info window (sometimes) does not open linked item

Hi,

I am currently encountering an issue where Devonthink links to an item in an open database don’t always open the respective item when they are followed from outside of DT. However, upon checking they are fully functional within DevonThink and definitely refer to the item.

The expected behavior would be that a new DevonThink window with the database item is opened. And often this is what actually happens, but not always. Instead, sometimes the main window will open with the most recently selected item.

To be more specific, for reasons not relevant here certain items in my database get their own item link added to their URL. In a third-party application, I then open the standard Finder Get Info window and follow the URL via right-click → Open Link to quickly access the database item.

Is there anything I can try to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

You follow the URL where in the Get Info pane?

Here’s a screenshot:

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 16.36.15

Are you using xattr to change the kMDItemWhereFroms on the file?

And note: you’re doing something non-standard here.

Since I never heard of both of these, I don’t think so.

Non-standard to some extent, sure. It’s true that I customize a lot of things on my system and it’s possible that something is interfering here and causing the unexpected behavior.

At the same time, it’s also not absurd to expect a link to a DT item to open that item regardless from where it’s followed. Please let me know if I can provide any other background info on what I’m doing that might help to pinpoint the cause.

Try adding ?reveal=1 to the URL

Definitely worth a try, thanks.

For those links that already do open a new window this works in order to instead reveal the linked item. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make a difference for those links showing the unexpected behavior.

So how are you adding the links then?

The links are added via a Smart Rule in DT, which adds the Item Link placeholder to the URL field.

As a pretty good workaround, I now set up a kb maestro macro, which searches for the exact name of the item in DevonThink. This addresses my use case for now.

So is the point of this the reveal the location of an indexed file in DEVONthink?

Yes. The file is indexed and I am accessing it both through DevonThink and a third-party app. After editing in the third-party app I also need to edit the same file in DevonThink.