DEVONthink online

Hi DEVONthink community, my team is thinking about getting DEVONthink to organize our documents. Some of us are currently using DEVONthink 3, but we don’t have experiences with DEVONthink Server and some other colleagues does not have a Mac.

We are curious about some features DEVONthink Server provide.
Our questions would be:

1. Is it possible to open DEVONthink online link on Windows?
  2. How functions such as tagging, highlights and comments function in online browser?

Thank you for your answers.

Welcome @alexzh

The Server edition has a built-in web server allowing you to broadcast a database on a network. This allows you to access specific databases in a web browser, including on other platforms. (See the Help referenced below regarding access over the Internet.) It has per-database, per-user permissions you can set to control access to the databases you have open.
More discussion of web sharing is covered in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Web sharing , Windows > Web Sharing , and Preferences > Server .

1. Is it possible to open DEVONthink online link on Windows?

Yes.

1. How functions such as tagging, highlights and comments function in online browser?

You can tag and add comments to documents in the websharing interface. There may be PDF annotation tools available, depending on the browser. However, those annotations aren’t being saved to the document, despite the appearance.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the answer.

Just some follow up questions:

1. If I understand you correctly, other people in your group will not be able to see your comments and annotations on their computer?
  2. Can you see your old annotations when you reopen the sharing link?

Best Regards.

You’re welcome!

Actually, no. Assuming you have given someone at least Read permissions for a database, they will see exactly what you see.

PS: You can test out the functionality of the Server edition on your Mac. Do this…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, select the Go menu while holding the Option key, then choose Library.
  3. In the Application Support/DEVONthink 3 folder, move the Registration.plist file to your desktop.
  4. Relaunch DEVONthink and it will be running in trial mode with the Server features enabled.

When you’re finished testing, you can quit DEVONthink, put the Registration file back in place and it should again be licensed on relaunch.

Note: If you previously ran the trial of DEVONthink, the time will not reset. You can only run the trial for the duration of the remaining time.

1 Like

Is there a way to upgrade existing licences to the server edition (and benefit from the current summerfest discounts)?

Yes, you can upgrade from a lower edition to a higher one for the difference in price. Combined with a promotion like Summerfest? No.

1 Like

@BLUEFROG

We are really impressed by what DEVONthink Server could offer and decide to give it a go. We will get one Mac for launching DEVONthink Server and share the database with other teammates who decide to stick to Windows system.

Just a few questions that still needed to be clarified:

1. As my colleagues might work in different time zones, should we keep the Mac (the host user) open and DEVONthink running 24 hours to ensure stable web sharing?

2. Should we get additional seats for teammates who are only going to read the databases through web sharing? Or is web sharing not limited?

Thank you for the help.

Best Regards,
Alex

Glad to hear it and you’re welcome :slight_smile:

1. As my colleagues might work in different time zones, should we keep the Mac (the host user) open and DEVONthink running 24 hours to ensure stable web sharing?

The Mac should be on, connected, and running DEVONthink with the shared databases open as long as users need access to them. That being said, I would also strongly consider a scheduled reboot when no user access is required. Once a week would be nice for the machine, but DEVONthink would need to be relaunched after the reboot. Enable Preferences > Server > General > Start on launch to make this an easier process.

1. Should we get additional seats for teammates who are only going to read the databases through web sharing? Or is web sharing not limited?

Websharing clients don’t require seats of DEVONthink, regardless of their level of access (read-only, etc.)

2 Likes

The challenges I face with the server edition is the lack of “sorter” and Safari extensions. I also feel there are contention/locking/multi-threading issues in some circumstances but this is much harder to quantify.

As @BLUEFROG suggested, enable server mode on trial and see if it meets your requirements.

1 Like

In my use, the fact I can launch the server is worth more than actually running it.

I keep books for a non-profit corporation. My fellow board members know they can rummage through the “file cabinet” remotely any time they want.

If someone ever wondered if I were hiding anything in the shadows, my response would be “Shadows? What shadows? Here, have a look for yourself.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been using the DT web server for years. I’ve had some significant problems along the way with it just ceasing to respond, though in the end it’s hard to say if the problem is with my version of macOS or the DT web server. The team who are corresponding with you here supported me with a lot of troubleshooting and made some bug fixes as well in light of the things I reported. I thought I’d post a link to an Apple Script I’ve found helpful for restarting the web server from time to time. I had that running every so often, and I found it made a huge difference. Good luck!

2 Likes