DEVONthink Pro mail rule problems

First of all, being my first post, hello to all. I believe this is a great community and together we will be able to use this great knowledge tool in great ways! I am a user of DEVONthink Pro.

So, my first post is question concerning the use of the Mail Rule “File Messages and Attachments”. I am experiencing two problems:

1. The mail rule only applies to messages FIRST read on my Mac. If I read the message first on iPad or iPhone, and then open the OSX Mail, the rule won’t be automatically enforced. Even if I mark the message as “Unread” again in the iOS devices, the rule still will not be applied automatically.
    Is there any way to circumvent this problem, other than manually “Apply Rules” or not reading the email in the iOS mail clients?

2. Second, is that the rule creates a group structure as follows:

GROUP “RULE NAME”
FILE email subject #1.eml
FILE email subject #2.eml
(…)
GROUP “ATTACHMENTS”
FILE attachment name #1.attachment extension #1
FILE attachment name #2.attachment extension #2

Like this, there is no way (?) of telling to which email message corresponds a given attachment… I would like to know if its possible to make the script create the following structure (i.e. one group per email message, containing a group inside it for the attachments):

GROUP “RULE NAME”
GROUP “email subject #1
FILE email subject #1.eml
GROUP “ATTACHMENTS”
FILE attachment name #1.attachment extension #1
GROUP “email subject #2
FILE email subject #2.eml
GROUP “ATTACHMENTS”
FILE attachment name #2.attachment extension #2

Thanks for the help, and see you soon.
Bruno.

That’s the way Mail works. It is possible to use plugins such as Mail ActOn to make Mail more sophisticated, but vanilla Mail will not apply rules if the message is already flagged read on the server.

Which of the three DEVONthink mail rule scripts are you using?

Mail Rule - Add attachments to DEVONthink Pro.scpt
Mail Rule - Add messages to DEVONthink Pro.scpt
Mail Rule - File messages & attachments.scpt

It might be that the second rule script is the one you would want to use for the results you are looking for.

Or, if you are conversant in AppleScript, any of these scripts can be copied and customized to fine tune the action to your liking.

I’m using the third, and trying to play with the applescript… so far, with no luck.

Also, I noticed that I can’t search the contents of the generated .eml files using DEVONthink Pro… but I can using DEVONthink Pro Office! I guess it’s a limitation of the Pro version?

Thanks