DevonThink Pro Office Deleted Database Sync (Bug?)

I may have stumbed on to a potential bug that occurs when a database that was synced to Dropbox is later deleted. I’m using the DTPO trial version (which, I am loving so far, fwiw) and have created - and deleted - several databases as I experiment with various features. I’ve also set up Dropbox syncing in accordance with the videos and tutorials, careful to promptly disable syncing the apps/DevonThink directory in the Dropbox selective sync preferences. The syncing itself appears to be working just fine and I’ve found no problems there.

But, after deleting one or more databases, I noticed that a Save dialogue popped up from time to time, prompting to save a deleted database. I later realized that it was popping up around the same time that the deleted database was previously set to sync. If I selected cancel, the save dialogue dissappeared, only to later reappear at the apparent next previously scheduled sync time. If I selected Save, the deleted database immediately reappeared back in DT.

First, I checked the DT sync preferences to make sure that the deleted database was not still there, which it wasn’t. Next, I looked in the Dropbox sync directory (apps/DEVONThink/databases) and saw that the database directories were still there. The database file names are encrypted, so I really could not tell which one was which, but by the count of directories, I saw that the total database directories in Dropbox matched the current plus deleted databases I had previously created. Lastly, I deselected the sync options for all existing databases and deleted all of the database files from Dropbox. The result appears to be that the DT still pops up with a save dialgue, this time prompting to save a database named “untitled.dtBase2”.

One last point is that this save popup has continued even after DT was closed and reopened. It has been going on for a couple of days now.

I suspect that there may be a bug in the sync process that does not disable syncing after a database is deleted. My layman’s guess is that DT is trying to save, or resync, the database on Dropbox, but prompts for a save when it finds the database is missing or deleted in DT.

I’ve already sent in a bug report with this information. If there is an option that I am missing here, please let me know.

I’ve already replied to your ticket, but for anyone else experiencing this issue, I’ll copy the content of my response here:

Thanks for the quick response!

FYI, I’m a new user and just had this problem. I’m running version 2.8.11 of DTPO.

I copied and pasted the command line above into terminal, but it didn’t work. Must have been an issue with spaces or hidden characters. The command I used:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/DEVONthink\ Pro\ 2/Sync/

After setting up the location in Preferences and starting a sync, DEVONthink complained that the database already existed on Dropbox, and it would be merged with my local database, which was cool.

Looks like that took care of the problem.

Thanks,
John

Keywords: database deleted recreated Dropbox sync

I expect the command should have been posted as:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Sync/

However, the above post is over a year old and I would suggest that anyone having issues with sync file a support request. Failing that, at a minimum it would be advisable to ask questions here before executing an old terminal command in hopes of fixing a sync issue. Sync in DEVONthink is changing and, with the recent release of the DEVONcloudy, a terminal command that once fixed sync issues may not work and/or cause problems today.

The spaces need to be escaped, as in the command I posted.