DEVONthink Pro Office doesn't start after installing the last DT3-Beta

After installing the latest DT3-Beta-version I get a registration-window when starting DT2. See screenshot.

What can I do to start DT2? Befor installing the DT3-Update it worked without any problems.

Kind regards
Armin

what’s your question?

Fill in the information they ask when the registration DT2 window pops up.

Same thing happened to me. Trouble is, DTPO stores my license data. Fortunately I had the email regarding my purchased DT3 Pro. I used its license and managed to get DTPO to open.

1 Like
  • Did you purchase DEVONthink 3?
  • Are you running DEVONthink 2 and 3 simultaneously?

That’s what I did. But the “Register”-Button remains gray after I entered the requested Information.

I purchased DEVONthink3 and have installed both versions. They are not used simultaneously. After recognizing the problem, I tested it on my Mac-Mini. DEVONthink2 and DEVONthink3 ran without any problems. After I installed the DEVONthink3-Update there is the same problem on the Mac-Mini.

• How many machines do you have DEVONthink 3 installed on?
  • Is anything reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?

It is installed on a Mac-Mini and a MacBook-Pro (don’t have more Apple-Computers).
There is nothing in the DT3-log.
After checking my customer-account I found out that the DT2-license disappeared from there. Maybe the support can help.

Maybe the support can help.

I am Support :slight_smile:

Your DEVONthink 2 license no longer exists. You can use the DEVONthink 3 license to operate version 2. However, it is not advisable to run 2 and 3 on the same user account.

It works. Perfect support :+1:
Thank you very much.

You’re welcome. Cheers!

I have the same problem and have some questions:
1 Can I use DTPO2 alongside DT3 (Standard) on the same machine?
2 Can I also have DT3 (Standard) installed on a second machine? (so 2 seats DT3)
3 How can I remove a seat? I have DT3 installed on only 1 machine yet my account says 2 seats are taken. I removed DT3 from a second machine some time ago so do I have to re-install DT3 there and then remove it as a licensed seat?
4 When I try to register my DTPO2 and insert the DT3 license to register I get a message saying this is not possible. (See screenshot) So what do I have to do to get DTPO2 to run? When I try to register DTPO2 with my original DTPO2 license the Register button is greyed out.

Any help would be very gratefully received!

Kind regards,
Bill

Supplement:
I want to use DTPO2 to run and maintain only my email archive database.
DT3 for my other databases

Yes but it’s not recommended.

The license of DEVONthink 3 includes 2 seats by default, therefore that’s possible.

Removing a license (see Registration panel) automatically removes the seat. Otherwise you have to log in to your account (see Help menu) and remove the seat there.

A license for the standard edition of DEVONthink 3 isn’t accepted by DEVONthink Pro Office 2.x, only by DEVONthink Personal 2.x and DEVONthink Pro 2.x.

OK, thanks, that makes things much clearer. A couple of follow ups:
1 I believe in an earlier post it was indicated that running DTPO2 alongside DT3 on the same account was not recommended. Could it be done with 2 accounts: one for DTPO2, one for DT3?
2 If I feel it would be a better option for me, could I revert to DTPO2 by uninstalling DT3, removing my DT3 license seats and then entering my regular, old DTPO2 license?

Thanks again!
Bill

If the apps are installed in the user’s account, e.g. ~/Applications instead of /Applications, then this should be possible. However, it’s nonetheless not recommended, especially directly opening databases in both versions as version 2 doesn’t support additions of version 3, e.g. reminders, custom metadata etc…

Thanks again for clarifying this. Could you also clarify the position regarding possibly reverting to DTPO2:

If I feel it would be a better option for me, could I revert to DTPO2 by uninstalling DT3, removing my DT3 license seats and then entering my regular, old DTPO2 license?

Many thank,
Bill

Yes, you can uninstall DEVONthink 3, if you’d like.
You shouldn’t need to remove the seats, and no you can’t use your old DEVONthink 2.x license. The moment you purchase the upgrade to 3, the 2.x license is no longer valid. You can use the DEVONthink 3 license in DEVONthink 2.