Devonthink Standard and Pro later?

Hello,
is it possible to buy the standard Devonthink version and upgrade to the Pro version later?
Thanks

Yes. You can also buy extra licenses if you have more than two macs that need to access the databases.

49 bucks for an extra seat licence, 99 to upgrade to pro, 400 if you want the server version.

1 Like

I am sure it is possible, I am sure I saw that it was on the site. Bluefrog will chip in no doubt.

I went this route with DT2. I would advise just going for the Pro right off the bat, really I would. The only time I would say otherwise is if you are a bit strapped for cash, really strapped I mean; like a student, very low income or unemployed really. Otherwise if you can run a Mac you should just go for the Pro. Initially it can feel like a mistake by the way: it did to me, but if you use the app you will find aspects and powers that you will come to rely on; The DEVONthink guys here obviously won’t push you this way but I can and will :grinning:

Beyond OCR, what features have you come to rely on? (I use a script to process my files through Finereader pro– the bundled finereaders generally aren’t scriptable. .)

1 Like

Search, several of the view options, occasional mail messages that have certain contents. Smart Groups and the panel that shows similar items I can’t remember what you call it now. Grouping of similar things, and I might well get Bookends when I upgrade to DT3; again I might say. I am back and fore on Biblios and have been for years. I use Bibtex at present.

I found that having capacities on DEVONthink encouraged me to explore them over time. It ‘grew’ on me and that is why I made the recommendation. I had the thought in the early days of my use and can’t fully remember the steps that led me there and to be honest off the top of my head couldn’t now tell you what is in different versions. Much of my use is kind of automatic these days. I know too that I neglect a lot of possibilites on it. I store some web pages and lots of links too. All stuff I never anticipated I would do. I don’t actually write or make things in DEVONthink.
I really don’t think I need the Server version of 3 though. I am wondering about that though… I don’t know Finereader at all. I will look it up, is that a good idea do you think?

1 Like

Indeed, as @tudoreynon correctly pointed out, you can buy Standard and upgrade to Pro or Server later. And yes, it would be at a discount since you’re upgrading a current DEVONthink 3 license.

1 Like

Having some OCR is very helpful. The OCR package I use is $120, more than the cost of an upgrade to Pro, and I’m not sure that the ability to edit recognition zones (“this is text, this is a picture, this is a table, and this shouldn’t be interpreted at all”) is of much use.

1 Like

That is exactly the kind of thing I mean. Nice to hear what you have to say too.

Thanks guys. Convinced and ordered.

1 Like

If I buy a Pro license, can I buy a standard edition license for a 3rd computer for $50, or do I need to buy the $100 2 seat license?

You can add an additional seat for DEVONthink Pro 3 to your existing DEVONthink Pro 3 license. It is not possible to purchase an additional seat DEVONthink 3 for your DEVONthink Pro 3 license because seats always extend an existing license.

Every additional seat for DEVONthink Pro 3 is US $99, a DEVONthink 3 license, including two seats, is also US $99.

If you want to purchase an additional seat please visit your user account and click your DTP3 license. Under “Available upgrades” you can buy an additional seat.

1 Like