DEVONthink To Go for MacOS

Just wondering if it would be possible to offer a version of DEVONthink To Go that could run on MacOSX. My primary DT databases are stored and managed on a Mac Desktop, and I can use DTTG on my iPhone or iPad to access all documents as needed.

However, I also have a MacBook Pro where I’d like to do the same thing. At present, the only thing I can do on my laptop is run DEVONthink and sync the Inbox – I’d prefer to run DDTG and have access to all my databases, allowing me to download only those docs I need at a given moment.

This would be preferable to a previously suggested tip of placing all of my DT databases on an external hard drive and carrying that around with me.

Thanks.

If I understand correctly, your objective is the “On Demand” sync feature supported by DTTG
to reduce the storage required for your databases

In part yes, but in my case, the objective is specifically targeted to MacOS. At present, I can only run the full DevonTHINK on my laptop, and the only way I can access a database (besides the INBOX) is to open it directly. I can’t do that here, because that database is already opened (and likely on a separate network) on my MacOS desktop.

DTTG for MacOSX (which I’d happily pay for separately) would work perfectly.

Sorry but no. DEVONthink To Go is only available on mobile; DEVONthink on the Mac.

At present, the only thing I can do on my laptop is run DEVONthink and sync the Inbox – I’d prefer to run DDTG and have access to all my databases, allowing me to download only those docs I need at a given moment.

You should read our prodigious information about syncing.

At present, I can only run the full DevonTHINK on my laptop, and the only way I can access a database (besides the INBOX) is to open it directly. I can’t do that here, because that database is already opened (and likely on a separate network) on my MacOS desktop.

Please clarify what you are talking about here. Where is here?

Sorry - “here” is my laptop. From my laptop, I can’t open a database which is already opened on another computer, in this case, my desktop. And neither do I want to create full copies of each database on my laptop given limited storage space.

From my laptop, I can’t open a database which is already opened on another computer, in this case, my desktop.

That is correct and what you are trying to do is not advocated. It’s technically possible if DEVONthink isn’t running on the desktop machine. But again, it’s not anything we’d suggest you do.

And neither do I want to create full copies of each database on my laptop given limited storage space.

I’d suggest you read:

Although this maybe isn’t exactly your point, I would also love to have a lighter weight DT client like DTTG on my Mac. (I still mourn the loss of the Sorter as a standalone app.) Perhaps if DTTG can be run on an M1 Mac, that would do the trick for me.

Where is the “DEVONthink weight” coming from in your experience with your M1? Surely you can’t notice any performance hits? I notice no performance hits on neither my now very old iMac nor also very old MacBook.

1 Like

Let’s see. Memory footprint. Disk space. Launch time. Feature complexity. Take your pick. Clearly DT is to MS Word as DTTG is to TextEdit.

Oh dear. Best to use an iPad/iPhone I guess for the time being.

2 Likes

There are no plans to have DEVONthink To Go run on a Mac, nor DEVONthink on iOS/iPadOS for that matter. :slight_smile:

This actually sounds like a job for DT Server – though you’d need to be quick to catch the Easter upgrade discount

2 Likes