DEVONthink To Go - price of new version?

I would also be upset by a subscription model. And it would be a reason to leave DT and search for another solution. With all the companies trying to do subscriptions the total amount of monthly’s costs are exploding and unreasonably high. Therefore I quit using those services and look for alternatives with one time payment. I AM HAPPY TO PAY AGAIN FOR AN NEW VERSION THOUGH, if I have the choice of still using the old version too. I do not need most of the new features of most of the apps.

Nothing at all has been announced, despite all the speculation. But I would be surprised if your current version will not work just fine for a long time (until something changes in technology/versions in their Desktop product which makes this impossible.

1 Like

Controversial opinion: I would prefer a subscription-based model. This is more sustainable in the long run, and gives me faith DT will still be around in 10 years.

8 Likes

Nothing being announced is great - it allows unrestricted scope for speculation and argument, without the inconvenience of actual data.

Sherlock Holmes (obviously an entirely factual person) frequently said that it was a capital offence to theorise without data. The poor soul would have stood no chance in the world of the interwebs.

6 Likes

Depending on the amount of subscription, it is another way to see a “paid version update” distributed across time. Instead of pay a reasonable big amount of money when passing from version x to version x+1 once y years, you pay x/z amount across months/year…

You (as a user) and they (as a company) need to produce numbers to match both situations.

However, sometimes, companies think that subscription is another thing, and for example Ulysses and Parallels makes you pay yearly the same as 3-year version upgrade. You pay, eg 3 times, the normal old 1 time payment for a version update.

I am more of that opinion as well. So at least we’re two. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I reject the software subscription model. It sets the wrong default for users. You’ll have to review subscriptions regularly to avoid unnecessary expenses. I’m not going to follow this model and the burden that developers place on users by requiring regular reviews.

I’ve spent a substantial amount on non-subscription software and I regularly buy updates. Sometimes I only use this software briefly or I buy multiple systems (e.g. omnifocus, 2do and now Things.) Unfortunately there are quite a few programs that have chosen the subscription model. Once the version doesn’t work anymore, I’ll abandon the software.

Ulysses → iA Writer
Mindnode → tbd (still works)
Textexpander → aText
1Password → tbd (still works with licence)
Linea → tbd, deleted
Day One → Plus Account. If that doesn’t work: expire
Evernote → deleted
Fantastical → deleted

There are more but you get the idea.

The change from Ulysses to iA writer was painful. I used Ulysses since version 1 but I felt locked in with the subscription model. Nowdays I only choose software that allows an easy export or saves in non-proprietary formats. That’s also a reason why I chose Devonthink.

Give users a reasonable choice: subscription or one-time payment for V1,2,3. There are ways to simulate upgrades on the appstore. Others have done it (omnifocus). I rather pay more as a one time payment than a subscription. It’s not the money, it’s the concept.

4 Likes

Will the new version have Full Screen PDF reading without the toolbar?

I’ll ask the lizard when I get home.

While you’re at it, could you ask him for the result of this week’s lottery drawing, too? Just let me know by PM.

1 Like

I think they forgot to release it…

4 Likes

Just to chime in here: I too hated the subscription and cancelled apps that switched to a subscription model (then briefly tried Setapp, which was an easy “bundling” experiment).

I’ll add that I also switched from Ulysses -> iA Writer, but while the initial, weaker reason was the subscription model, the later, stronger reason (for me) was transparency (i.e. having it indexed in DT).

I still don’t like subscriptions, but IMHO it would be much worse for DT to not be a viable business.

Perhaps having a subscription is the price to pay for them being able to innovate and grow, and (as someone who’s culled their apps to a bare minimum, and included DT within that bare minimum) I do want them to stick around and innovate!

3 Likes

Developers offering a subscription are not Evil per se…

For many developers it may also be the limitations Apple has in the AppStore. Releasing a mayor upgrade in the AppStore for which a developer would ask you to pay a complete new App (Identifier) would need to be uploaded to the AppStore. Which could mean a seamless upgrade would be more difficult. Also the developer would loose al marketing related stuff from the previous version. The higher upfront costs might also scare new potential users and there is no trial possibility (if I understand correctly). In the EU you can get a refund on every App you buy in the Appstore (within 14 or 30 days after purchase I think) but I think this is not true in every country.

There is also the Paymium model which mostly means higher upfront costs but a developer can give options for in-app purchases to add extra features or services. I think this is what DTTG currently is based on. Again the higher upfront costs might scare potential buyers, but upfront costs might be lower because there can be more choices in which features you need.

I tried SetApp but most apps I really liked I already bought. I also had to have SetApp running to use the apps which I didn’t like, so discontinued it. I really try to limit the number of apps I use… I really try :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really try to limit the number of apps I use… I really try :slight_smile:

It can be a difficult task, for sure! :wink:

1 Like

I have just bought a task manger app and I feel that dev has hit the sweet spot with pricing. You can purchase the app for £9.99 or subscribe for £8.99 a year to help support development.
I paid the £9.99 but so far I’m very impressed with his app and in a year will look at the subscription if the development continues well.
Wish more apps would have such a close pricing structure, maybe something like that could work for DTG3? Give people the one payment option and then offer a subscription also if people think they it’s really worth it.

1 Like

Heh, I forgot to add that I stopped using Setapp eventually, for a similar reason: there wasn’t anything I absolutely needed, and what I did, I had already bought or subscribed to.

1 Like

I’m also not a fan of subscriptions, although I understand why they make sense to developers. However, now there’s just too many. In subscription cases, my favorite one so far has been Agenda. If you cancel the subscription, you keep the app with updates as of that time. I really like Agenda, but many of their latest updates aren’t of use to me. I will gladly resubscribe when I see that it’s worth from my end, as I also want to support their work.

2 Likes

On everyone’s mind → are we there yet? still waiting

4 Likes

I would suggest that if we are still waiting it follows that we are not there yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

DTTG3 is still in beta, not RC, according to this comment :frowning:

DEVONsave shortcut works only once in iOS 14 - #23 by BLUEFROG

My interpretation of the comment above is still an unsubstantiated rumour based on specific assumption, maybe DTTG3 will drop tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

Please rename this thread as DevonThinkRumours, it will be more adequate :slight_smile:

1 Like