Devonthink under Windows

rctill,

Yeah, that is the hack I was talking about and I have used that before with the Big Sur beta. My installation was as slow as molasses, I think in part because the VMware tools are not optimized for a platform combination that is not supported by VMware. Or maybe I just missed something on my setup.

If someone can get this working properly and with good speed, it would be pretty cool. Even cooler would be a machine running Linux with a macOS VM running there.

What’s up with these threads today? Just saw this

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52789

Is it complain-about-developers-not-supporting-my-favorite-(and-nobody-else’s)-OS month?

3 Likes

Yes, that’s because Apple’s software license for MacOS only permits the software’s use on computers that are certified by Apple.

Another option would be to use something like this:

I have not checked the prices but I would imagine that buying your own personal Mac would be cheaper.

Depending on what you need to do, it might not even need to be a particularly powerful Mac. I run W10 in the latest version of Parallels on a standard spec Mac Mini, and its performance is a lot better than it used to be. Not that I do very much in Windows. Of course, at the moment it would need to be an Intel-based Mac.

I was looking to see how to access DT from Windows (my office computer). A potentially simple solution, depending on what you need to do and what equipment you have, is to use Chrome Remote Desktop which requires very little setup and is free. This assumes you have a Mac at “home”.

I’m going to try out this method and see how well it’ll work in my situation :). Sometimes at the office I’m reading something and want to store the sticks in DT but don’t have access to it. Usually these are not work related stuff; doing personal stuff on university’s time. :wink:

:flushed:
:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I typically access DT from my work computer via the web interface, but also have Chrome Remote Desktop in place for the odd time I need access to features not available through the web. It seems to work pretty well…

1 Like

I admin remote control systems for editing all the time nowadays (Thanks to covid) but never use them directly myself. Jump, Parsec. Windows and mac.

But the fanciest trick I pull if I myself am on a strange windows computer is to get a webmail login working and send myself a Dropbox folder invite link to a DT indexed folder. I can throw screen grabs and PDFs into that as the day progresses and deal with it when I can get back to my main system.

3 Likes

It’s not about my “favourite” OS. Given the choice, I would vastly prefer Apple products. It’s about what I can afford. Apple hardware is unaffordable for me.