Devonthink USB solution

Hi,

I have an iMac at home and carry around a MacbookPro when I am traveling. Both run on Yosemite. I have tried to sync the two via Dropbox, but I can’t seem to do it accurately. I sync upon “open” and “close” and do not keep databased open on two computers simultaneously. Still the problem persists.

Hence, I am thinking of going the USB route. It is not the ideal solution, but I can live with it for now. However, I am confused about the following scenario:

1. Suppose I delete the local databases on my laptop, and copy the primary ones on to a USB drive (still maintaining a copy on dropbox for backup).
  2. Use the USB versions to view and use the databases on my laptop.
  3. And this is where it gets dicy. I make changes to the USB version of the database on the laptop, while traveling for a few days.
  4. When I return home, how do I sync the modified versions on my USB with the old ones left on my home desktop? Do I just replace the older version with the new ones by copy and replace? Or, is there a better solution?

Many thanks.
AC

Ps. Also, is direct mac-to-mac sync better than dropbox sync? If so, could someone point me to a link that explains this well.

A direct synchronization should be both more reliable and faster. Another possibility is to use a local sync store on the USB stick.

BTW:
Are the databases stored in the ~/Dropbox folder or do you use the integrated Dropbox sync (see Preferences > Sync)? Storing databases in cloud folders like Dropbox is not recommended.

Thanks for your response! No, the databases are not stored within Dropbox. They are synced through dropbox.

I tend to simplify life as much as possible. Although I’ve got several Macs, I’ve settled on doing my DEVONthink Pro Office work on my 15" MacBook Pro Retina. When on travel, I pick it up and take it with me.

As I use Time Machine for backups, I’ll also carry along one of the 1 TB USB 3 portable drives that I use for backups, and continue to backup while on travel. (When at home, I switch between one of two portable drives for backups every few days, keeping one of them in my bank safety deposit box for offsite storage.)

This sounds like a good solution, Bill. But how can I not take advantage of my 27" iMac screen while writing with Devon open on one corner of the screen and the writing app on the other.

The USB sync store should work for me, once I figure out how to do it.

Many thanks,