DEVONthink wants to talk to Amazon S3 on port 443 on launch

Hi, as I continue to enjoy exploring DEVONthink, my firewall noticed upon launching DEVONthink, it wants to send TCP traffic on port 443 (presumably HTTPS) to s3-1-w [dot] amazonaws [dot] com which resolves to IPV4 address 52.216.236.235. It seems as if this is probably required for accessing the tutorial information which appears in the DEVONthink macOS startup window. For sensitivity and privacy of records to be stored in DEVONthink, such as human health data, I will probably be required to block that outgoing traffic to that S3 bucket. In doing so, will this cause any problems with the functionality of DEVONthink? What about if I want to include RSS feeds? Also, does DEVONthink 2 Go on iOS similarly require access to outside servers such as the aforementioned S3 bucket? Thank you.

I canā€™t comment on the specifics of your situation, but I would not block that traffic.

DEVONthink does not send anything but anonymous data regarding licenses and potentially sync notifications to improve syncs between your devices.

And yes, DEVONthink To Go also sends and receives push notifications for sync.

Yes, this is very likely Amazon S3 for checking for a new OCR version. You can block it but will never receive any OCR updates. DEVONthink To Go does not access S3. If you want to access RSS you will need to give DEVONthink access to those addresses/ports.

Thank you very much for your clarification on this. DEVONthinkā€™s attention to and care about privacy and security is greatly appreciated especially in a digital world where trust is not easy to find with increasing cyber risks.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: You will, however, also notice a connection to another of our servers (api [dot] devontechnologies [dot] com) that you should not block. It is used to register and verify your license.

Surely, thatā€™s easily manageable with the help of our da kine friends across the Ź»Alenuihāhā Channel :ocean: at Objective-See :wink: :palm_tree:

1 Like