DEVONthink workflow wanted, iPhone -> macOS

Pardon me if this is obvious but I’ve not managed to find the answer.

I do a lot of “browsing of information” on my iPhone. I just want to “push URLs” to DEVONthink on my Mac. I don’t need the db on the iPhone, just the possibility to “push”. (I’ve been using Pocket, Instapaper etc., but can’t find the connection to DEVONthink, I’m using DEVONthink Pro version 2 btw).

What would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help
/Jan-Erik

I usually use Pinboard to save URLs and I have a DT database that is for RSS feeds. That captures all the URLs from Pinboard.

Thanks, so a subscription on pinboard and the app Simplepin? I’ll give it a try.

(A bit annoying that I need a subscription, maybe something like this got go into version 3? The use case should be fairly simple and not unique).

/Jan-Erik

You might be able to set up an RSS feed from Pocket or Instapaper. I don’t use them, so I don’t know what features they offer. If DT can read from those, you won’t need Pinboard.

See this, for example: https://help.getpocket.com/article/1074-can-i-subscribe-to-my-list-via-rss

I’ve used an Instapaper RSS feed in DEVONthink macOS for years now.

1 Like

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was possible, but not certain. Thanks for the confirmation.

Set up the inbox on your iPhone DTTGo to sync to the global inbox in DEVONthink on your Mac.

Then you can use the built-in share feature of iOS and “Clip to DevonThink” will be an option.

1 Like

@rkaplan has suggest the course of action I would also suggest, as it only uses DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go. However, you would likely want to move those items to separate databases on the Mac, to “clear the Inbox”. This would effectively clear the Inbox in DTTG as well.

The other suggestions here are certainly valid in their own rights.

The OP stated they did not need the db on their phone, from which I deduced they did not have or did not want DTTG, hence the other solutions proposed. But I use DTTG.

Agreed - what may not be obvious at first to some users is that you can use DTTG for just the inbox and not the rest of the database. That accomplshes the stated goal without the bandwidth and complication of syncing an entire database. As @BLUEFROG notes, it is quite easy to then move from the Inbox to the desktop Database using Devonthink for Mac.

you can use DTTG for just the inbox and not the rest of the database.

To follow-up (again) and clarify a little on this…

1. The Global Inbox is its own database - on Mac and mobile.
  2. You have to sync an entire database - on Mac and mobile. You may opt for a shallow sync, i.e., Download Files: On demand, but you still sync the entire database, not a subset of it.

However… there is no requirement to have any other databases in DEVONthink To Go. You can easily just clip to or create in the Global Inbox and sync it to your Mac’s Global Inbox in DEVONthink.

It is such a long time since I got DTTG that I cannot remember if there is a free version or if you have to pay to use it at all. That might be a factor for the OP.

There is no free version. However, it’s very affordable… and useful :slight_smile:

Well, it depends on how much money you’ve got. I have about £8 per day for food and running expenses these days. And I count myself fairly lucky!