Difference between Globals and Open Database

I’m so sorry… but I don’t understand the difference between Globals and Open Database.
I had create a new database named PARA. So I have in globals the database open and I had put inside some documents. So I expected to have the same documents in the same database under the OPEN DATABASES… instead… nothing.
I attach a file to better explain my trouble.
Anyone could help me to understand better this thing?

Thanks in advance to who will like help me.

Stefano

1 Like

As the manual says “All databases also have an Inbox group
The interface is controlled by Settings > General > Interface > Unify Inboxes
. You see this group at the top under Globals>Inboxes>PARA
. This group is not visible under Open Database

So I have in globals the database open and I had put inside some documents. So I expected to have the same documents in the same database under the OPEN DATABASES… instead… nothing.

You put the documents in group PARA>Inbox
This group is not visible in Open Databases (Unify Inboxes setting)

2 Likes

ok, thank you very much… I uncheck the Unify Inboxes and now all seems better, for me.
Could ask you what is the utility of the unify inboxes for each database? Is a way to parking the files before put the ordinated in the database?

thanks
stefano

Could ask you what is the utility of the unify inboxes for each database?

Unifying the Inboxes matches the behavior e.g., of Apple Mail. And many people find it helpful to keep their Inboxes together in the Globals section so they can easily add files to the Inboxes of their open databases.

Is a way to parking the files before put the ordinated in the database?

Yes, the Inbox is intended as a temporary location before filing items into their respective places in a database.

I keep my inboxes unified. Because they’re only temporary storage, I much prefer having them grouped together so I can move rapidly between them. I don’t really consider them “part” of my databases. (I also agree that it’s nice that it matches Apple Mail.)

However I do now have a question about how many people put folders inside their inboxes, as seen in this example. It makes me wince a bit - if you need folders why aren’t they in the permanent database?

I do have an exception myself. I’ve been reading and summarising a huge report, and took the decision to create a folder for the parent file (one giant pdf) and each of the individual notes I’m writing up on it in my inbox. But that’s only a temporary structure while I work through the report. Once finished, the individual note files will be removed to the correct locations in the database (they won’t be kept together), along with the report itself, and the folder in my inbox will then be deleted.

I’d be interested to learn how others use their inboxes.

1 Like

Different strokes… (and not the 80’s tv show) :wink:

watchu-talkin-bout-willis

1 Like