Disable thumbnail generation completely

I have no need for thumbnails. I went to Settings > Files > Thumbnails and unchecked all of the checkboxes to the right of Create Thumbnails. If I exit DT3 and restart it these settings are unchanged … but DT3 informs me it is Creating Thumbnails (by way of a small box in the lower left of the UI).

Luckily I can stop this by clicking the X next to the message. A good thing too, since until I cancel this DT3 is completely unusable, even though it is only pegging one of the 8 cores/16 hyperthreads of my MBPs i9 CPU. (I have imported 80GB of notes from Evernote, so this could go on for days, and in the meantime I can’t use DT3 at all.)

Am I missing something, or is there no way to disable thumbnail generation completely?

Most likely items are already in the thumbnailing queue, in this case changing the preferences doesn’t have any impact anymore. Just quit DEVONthink, delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Pending and launch it again.

cgrunenberg,

I don’t have bosconi’s concern about thumbnails, but I did take a look at my ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Pending directory.

Should that directory be empty when there no pending operations? Mine includes a dozen folders with names that appear to be item links (“2743A5FC-D85A-4942-AC12-1A6A00619AFF”, as in “x-devonthink-item://2743A5FC-D85A-4942-AC12-1A6A00619AFF”) but most don’t seem to point to any existing database or group or document. Several are as old as 2019. None is more recent than two weeks ago. If I quit DT3, they aren’t deleted. Are these perhaps remnants of some interrupted operation that DT3 was unable to complete? Should I/can I delete them?

There’s no need to delete the empty folders, the actual operation queue is stored in files if necessary.

Actually users should never delete anything in DEVONthink’s application folder (except custom templates, scripts and .log files) unless instructed to do so.

The same is true for many applications.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you @cgrunenberg. My Pending folder indeed contained a dir with a file in it, created around the time of my Evernote import:

$ ls -l /Users/jc/Library/Application\ Support/DEVONthink\ 3/Pending/36F0C044-0284-44DC-BDA8-859409CFBEDE/
-rw-r–r–@ 1 jc staff 2148393 Feb 5 21:56 /Users/jc/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Pending/36F0C044-0284-44DC-BDA8-859409CFBEDE/KThumbnailer.plist

After deleting the file and that subdir and starting DT3, I no longer see the thumbnail message or activity.