"Document Date" attribute sometimes chooses to use European format, even though my Mac is localized for the US

I have a very simple script to add a document’s date to it’s name:

Most of the time, it works great, although it occasionally can’t find a date that looks pretty obvious to me.

But the real reason that I’m writing this is that my document can have a date like: “08/01/20” but the date that gets added to my document name is “2020-01-08”. Most of the time the date is correct, but every once in a while this happens.

I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this, or if it’s just me …

Yep, I’m seeing it here too… in the US with English as primary language and short date as MM-DD-YYYY.

@cgrunenberg will have to comment on this.

Glad you could reproduce it so quickly!

If I understand you correctly, you are getting YYYY-DD-MM; I’m not aware that that is a European format. ISO 8601 dictates YYYY-MM-DD which makes files containing a date in the file name infinitely more sortable by filename (that sounds like hyperbole, but that’s all the rage nowadays); the more common format in Europe is DD.MM.YYYY. So I’m not sure what the format is you are getting. Academic anyway, I guess, if it’s not what you’ve set :see_no_evil:

1 Like

You’re right, I’m getting YYYY-DD-MM rather than the expected YYYY-MM-DD. I was calling it “European” just because they put the day before month.

The recognition of the dates in the text does not use any system settings currently (to avoid another variable making things less reproducable and more difficult to support). Anyway, please send some example documents to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com and I’ll check this.

I have a related issue with sorting the entries of a table by date. The format received from the bank is DD.MM.YY. Which for me is not really usable. How can I fix this? Could I use some automation? However, I am an absolute layman.

I suggest that you open a new topic for that question. This topic is not about tables. And you might want to explain in more details where you get these tables from, in which format they are (csv? xls? numbers?) and so on.

1 Like

I’ll do. "Sorting rows of sheets by date in format “ddmmyy”.